Sunday, February 16, 2014

Neat Day

(Read over Saturday's entry and realized I wrote we "lazed around in the morning," which is inaccurate. Actually, Mike conducted a conference call for several hours in the study, while his angelic, ever-helpful, and long-suffering mother kept out of the way.  Did several loads of wash and other household chores.)
Yesterday was neat.  In a steady rain, we drove in separate cars to Target in Manahawkin; Mike wanted to pick up a few more things not sold in Singapore.
From there, we drove up to my friend's.
It was interesting that, as if a wall had been erected or an order given, about ten miles north, there was a foot or more snow still on the ground, whereas, there's almost nothing left in Little Egg.
As soon as we arrived, we were invited into the 39-foot SUV and Mike got the grand tour. He was wowed, just as I had been--fireplace was lit and heat was on and we sat comfortably chatting for 45 minutes or so.
Mike then proposed that we go out for lunch on him and we went to The Outpost nearby.  This is a log cabin/roaring fireplace/antler chandeliers type restaurant-- self-consciously rustic, but great fun.  Of course,  I wouldn't care if we were at the local McDonald's when I'm with these three whom I love so well.
After, we went to the Laurita Winery where they were having a wine and chocolate festival.  You would swear you were in the Sonoma Valley, it's so far out in the countryside and the very large, multi-level stone structure was filled with happy people. There was wine-tasting in one area, a guitar player and singer in another, and a painting class upstairs--great fun!
We strolled around the place, but didn't sample anything, just stayed an hour or so enjoying the atmosphere.  After that, my friend treated us to an auto tour of the beautiful fields and valleys in their semi-country neighborhood.  We were then invited in for coffee, tea, and dessert, and enjoyed that, too.
All too soon, Mike had to leave for JFK and get a plane for Frankfort, and I followed him out, turning in the opposite direction.  I managed not to cry, but it wasn't easy.  What a pleasure it was to have him with me that long and how delightful a visit and a day it had been.
My eye seems to be progressing well and there's even a hope of spring in the air--well, it's elusive, but I want to believe it's there.
 

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...