Monday, February 17, 2014

Back To Normal And Being Safe

Getting back to normal day...
...but not to the extent of walking.  There was ice on street and sidewalk and I didn't want to risk it.  Susan set off, but I saw her later and she said she hadn't gone our full route, for safety's sake.*
Mike had thoughtfully stripped the guestroom bed for me and put sheets and towels in the basket.  Washed all and re-made bed.
Thought I might go to the SUV show with my friend and her husband, but decided against it, as I had rehearsal at 7:00.  Drove to Kohl's in Manahawkin, thinking I might get a few tops, but didn't see anything I like.  Looked in Bed, Bath & Beyond, thinking I might find a small boost for my new T.V., but didn't see anything appropriate.  Speaking of same, I turned on the set after I got home last night, and there are plenty of channels you can watch without cable.  Seems odd; maybe I should drop Comcast, although it also covers my computer and home phone.
Got to the community center for rehearsal just before 7 and was annoyed to see it dark and no one there.  Went home and called Desi; answering machine on. Called Ellen V. and she said last night, we were in New Gretna.  Considering I could barely see to drive, I was mad at myself, but got there--a half hour last--and rehearsal went fairly well.  I like the new "George," who replaced Grey.  His name is Tony Bessman and he was last in The 39 Steps.
* A new, truly odious, parting expression seems to have replace "have a nice day." I've heard it several times over the past few weeks from friends, acquaintances, and complete strangers, such as store cashiers.  Last night, Mary H. said it to me as we left.  It's "be safe."
Jumpin' jackrabbits, are we ever going to get out of this terror everywhere mode?  "Stay safe" is just another propagandistic expression dreamed up by an advertising hack paid by the Pentagon, just as "thank a soldier" was.  It's repeated in a few strategic places--t.v. shows or whatever--then the powers that be wait for it to be picked up by the general public.  They know the sheeple never met a snap phrase they didn't like and soon, it's heard everywhere.  It vaguely reinforces the idea that we're surrounded by danger and maybe we'd better keep slaughtering innocent people in other countries or some evil will befall us.  Phooey!          

   

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...