Monday, February 24, 2014

Blog Comment On Puns

Here's a gem of a comment from my cyber-pal, Jim.  I STILL don't have the vaguest idea what it means.
 Jim Wetzel said...
Those are all wonderful, but I'm partial to #2. The pun is, perhaps, the highest form of humor.
By the bye, here's an optical joke:

Did you hear about the blonde optical engineer? She designed a camera lens, and totally ignored both primary chromatic aberration AND spherochromatsm. When her colleagues demanded to know why she left these aberrations uncorrected, she laughed and laughed. After all, she knew the camera would only be used to take black-and-white pictures!

Oh, I just crack myself up sometimes, I really do!
5:27 PM
 Delete
Mimi said...
Jim, I'm afraid ONLY an engineer could understand this, let alone think it's funny! I laughed, but mainly because I don't have the faintest idea what any of your terms mean. I think that's funny in a weird sort of way. Thanks for sharing, though--uh, I think...
8:51 PM
 Delete

4 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Mimi, they say the way to know that a joke is truly horrible is when it has to be explained. "Primary chromatic" and "spherochromatism" are lens aberrations (defects inherent in the design) that have to do with the color of the light. The idea of the joke is that the engineer in question, being a blonde, doesn't realize that the "white" in "black and white" is comprised of all colors, and that color aberrations do indeed have to be corrected.

Yes, it's terrible. It's sort of a "Silly Sally" joke (precursor to "blonde" jokes). If you've never heard a Silly Sally joke, it may be that they're a regional phenomenon.

Mimi said...

Jim, your explanation makes it perfectly clear--NOT! I don't recall "silly Sally" jokes; guess we east coasters aren't as sophisticated as Indianians. We had plenty of similar local "humour," though.

Jim Wetzel said...

Silly Sally jokes were told (around here, at least) when I was a boy. They are similar to the "blonde" jokes of more recent times, but are distinguished from them by: (1) the fact that they're about Silly Sally, and (2) they always contain the setup line "Silly Sally just laughed and laughed." An example:

Silly Sally had climbed a tree in her grandma's front yard. Her grandma came outside and told her to get down from that tree right away -- all the boys were under the tree looking up her dress at her underwear. Silly Sally just laughed and laughed -- she knew she wasn't wearing any underwear!

Yeah ... maybe the passing of Silly Sally jokes isn't exactly a great cultural tragedy, is it?

Mimi said...

Now that you mention the Silly Sally genre, it sounds a lot like a similar one we told as kids--I just can't remember the name of the heroine. Jokes were certainly related, though, in their sophistication and high level of culture. Here's one: (Somebody's) mother said "I got it at the Safeway" and (somebody) laughed and laughed, because she knew there was no safe way.
So risque!

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...