Monday, March 25, 2013

Sad News And Dine Around

Oh, boy, I'm reeling from a blow received late yesterday.  John P., our invaluable leader at Players & Playwrights, sent members an e-mail outlining plans for our June show, but including what he called "bittersweet" news:  He's been accepted into the MFA program at Arizona State and will be leaving us in July.
John teaches theatre arts at Stockton State as adjunct faculty, but his full-time job is as assistant director of Residence Life.  His goal is to teach play-writing (and be a successful playwright himself) and for that, his masters degree is not going to cut it.  His is in "Educational Theatre"--geez, what persuasive department chair ever twisted what arms to add that to the curriculum?  Anyway, he wants to be a full-time professor and it ain't gonna happen without an MFA.  (I'm surprised it could happen without a doctorate, and maybe he intends to go on with that.)
He applied to, and has been accepted by, Arizona State, where he'll study for his MFA and also teach.  It's a wonderful opportunity for him, but boy, am I going to miss him.  I came to the theatre when I was past seventy and John's one of the many reasons I find it so fulfilling.
Went with Judy and Roman to Dine Around last night.  It was at The Grapevine, which isn't my favorite restaurant, but dinner (scallops) was actually very good.  I sat with Barbara and Joe F., an interesting couple--she speaks Portuguese and he's an amateur astronomer.  Will call them for an interview for The Breeze when I get back from California.
Had my Sunday Ellen-Fix on Skype.  Will see her in six days--yay!

No comments:

Monday

Set off for the mall and Target at 10:30. I got some staples (plant milk, blueberries, grapefruit, etc.), but decided to hold off buying the...