Monday, March 18, 2013

Good One

Another good one.  Went across to Susan's at 10:00 and we met her ex-husband's second wife, Joanne M., at Smithville Inn for brunch.  What an incredible buffet they present--every possible breakfast and lunch food, as well as an attractive venue with views.  Joanne absolutely insisted on grabbing the check, so I'm not sure how much it is.
Joanne is an interesting person to know and she and Susan have been friends since Joanne married Chuck.  (He died several years ago.)  She works at a Catholic church in Marmora and has an intense interest in "Happy Home," an orphanage for girls in India.  It seems the priest in her parish had founded it.  Joanne has been there and brought pictures.  I was enthralled by both, as India is a place I've always wanted to go. 
Susan gave us each a "Dammit Doll," goofy stuffed figures with a verse saying you're supposed to "slam it" and say "dammit!" when you get mad.  Very funny and we both enjoyed it.  Joanne gave Susan and me beautiful orchids.  I was slightly--but only slightly--embarrassed that I didn't give them anything.  However, we decided we'll make this a regular thing and in a month or two, I'll host the two of them at the Tuckahoe Inn.
Didn't get home until after 1:00 and just puttered around until I left at 4:30 to meet Larry and Betty for dinner at Red Lobster.  I was still pretty stuffed from brunch, but managed to put away salmon and string beans.
I presented Larry with an HSHS 1950 yearbook, the year he graduated, which he had never had.  It had been Pat's, but he didn't graduate until the next year, and I have his, so I saw no reason not to give it to Larry.  He was very appreciative and we had a great time talking and laughing.
I hate to drive at night--I think every mature person does--but made it home with no problem and had my weekly Skype call from Ellen.  I'll see her in two weeks--yay!   

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...