Saturday, March 16, 2013

Full Day

     A good, full day.  Left for points south at 11:00 so I could stop at Canal's and replenish the wine cellar (rack).  Found some good, inexpensive Chardonnays.  Got to the Margate Library before the 1:00 start time for the FELS meeting to find only three other class members there, along with leader Rachel K.
     I had read over the two plays I thought we were doing--A Happy Journey, by Thornton Wilder and Here We Are, by Dorothy Parker, but found I was mistaken about Parker's--we were actually doing The Dream Maker, by Somebody or Other.
     I find listening to others read plays pretty boring unless the readers are very good actors and these aren't.  However,  I got a major part in the second play, so it wasn't bad.  Rachel was her usual inane, exasperating self, but also oddly appealing in a masochistic sort of way.  She's so awful you can't help feeling sorry for her.
     I asked her to read the script Golden Age, that my niece-in-law, Robyn, and sent me, and left it with her.  This was written by a friend of hers and whether it's performance worthy is anybody's guess.  It's 92 pages long and I found it hard to get through.  Got an e-mail from Rachel this morning saying it didn't speak to her or something.  I'll talk to John P., our leader in Players & Playwrights to see if he might be able to suggest something.      
     We ended about 3:15 and I zipped up to Betty's.  We chatted a bit, then took off for Applebee's in Somers Point where we met Muckie for dinner.  Enjoyed both of them and the lemon Parmesan chicken I had.
     Back in God's country (Ocean County), I went directly to the clubhouse for the Sunrise Bay Singers' St. Patrick's Day program.  Very enjoyable and fun to be among friends.  I was surprised and gratified that several people I barely know came up and said how much they liked my performance in Arsenic.  Thanking them, I came across as modest, I hope, but in fact, I eat that stuff up.  Any performer who says he or she doesn't, is lying in their greasepaint.
     Home a bit after 8:00 and watched another segment of The English Patient, about which I had been enthralled.  That's ebbing, though, and I'll watch the rest tonight, then return it to the library.
     Brother Larry is due to blow in from Florida today.  He'll stay at Betty's this time and they'll call me when he gets there.      

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...