Wednesday, September 06, 2006

After 3 more hours at St. James yesterday, I'm just about finished up. I put pictures in the frames I brought, and they look great, especially the large ones of the classes of the 30's. I do want to go back once more to add some notations to the folders in the large file. School starts today, so I certainly don't want to go now, but will see if I can go in over the weekend.
It was tedious to get all the recent pictures in some kind of order, and not easy, considering there were all sizes and configurations--some stapled to scrapbook pages, a few matted, most just loose and every which way. Incredibly, some of the "official" ones--First Communions and graduations--weren't dated or identified in any way. Most of the multitude of casuals and snapshots had no indication of year, event, class, and so on; I bought a box and simply labelled them "random shots--undated." That part was frustrating to some extent.
However, the reward was coming across the fascinating older--I labeled them "historic"--photos that included cornerstone-laying in 1931, First Communion classes of the 30's and 40's, graduation classes from those years, and so on. I picked up one 18" by 22" composite picture and felt a happy shock of recognition to see my dear older sister, Gene--Helen--along with Pat's brother, John in the class of '38. Of course, I came across my brothers' and my twin sister and my graduation pictures, too. I didn't have time to check the First Communion pictures, but will try to figure out when my sibs and Pat's made theirs. Anyway, it was fun to do, if time-consuming and fairly expensive.
Getting still further involved, I called the woman who's coordinating the "gala" for October 14. She said she has 400 or so names and addresses to send invitations to, and I told her I'd provide the ones I know.
I'm not sure if I want to expend much more effort on this event, especially as I doubt if I'm going, but we'll see. It sounds as if the affair at House of Blues will be better organized and executed than the Maynard fiasco--well, it could hardly be worse--but at this point, I'm not sure about who's going, how much it costs, and other particulars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(I tried to send this to your email, but it doesn't seem to be working. Better call Dell! Only $99 a call...)

Wow Mom,

Thanks for sending that issue of the "Downbeach Current." It sure brings back memories of 'ol Ventnor.

And what big news... the "New Look" Ventnor Plaza would require a ZONING CHANGE! Yikes!

It really was fascinating, the misses and I poured over it, cover to cover, every page (well, we might have missed a couple near the beginning...)

Anyway, thanks again!

Son

P.S. I noticed some guy who looks just like Uncle Jimmy on the front cover, but couldn't be him as his name was "Byrns." Anyway, this guy was also from Virginia; A coincidence, I guess.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...