Monday, September 03, 2018

Doing Dudley

Even though it was Sunday and very early--I was finished my walk and home before 7:00--there were a fair number of people at Kimball, including Irene.
Did the usual Sunday thing. then showered and washed my hair. I knew I'd be dressing in my Victorian clothes to do the tour at Dudley House, so I just put on underwear and a "dress" type nightgown, before it was time to change. Then the doorbell rang.
It was Suzanne, bringing her brother from San Diego to meet me. I 'splained about the outfit, invited them in, and we had a nice talk. Glenn is a primary physician and sees, he says, a lot of geriatric patients. Suzanne had told him I was a wonderful neighbor (the feeling is very much mutual) and mentioned a few of the things I do, over which he marveled.
I can't pretend I wasn't flattered, but I always raise my eyebrows when somebody seems to see my age as my defining factor.  It isn't. However, we had a nice visit, then they left and I got ready for Dudley House.
I should have thought--and next time, I'll arrange it this way--to take my clothes, wig, and so on there and get changed in the downstairs. It was awkward gathering up my voluminous skirts (full petticoat with ruffles and heavy, broadcloth skirt, both full-length) and driving, but I made it okay.
I was early, so waited on a bench outside until Sheri came, Shortly after, so did the ladies (plus one man and one little girl) from CC's Unity Church. CC herself was late, but came later.
Sheri decided to separate the group and have half begin upstairs (Dianna was the docent there) and half down with me. She accompanied me, which annoyed me at first, but then I realized it was helpful. Sheri was one  of the original San Bonaventure Heritage members and has been active for 43 years, so she  was able to fill in what I didn't know. Anyway, it was over at 1:00 and I left, glad to get out of my Dudley duds and into light clothes.
On this gorgeous day, I knew Surfer's Point would be jammed, so drove to midtown instead. That was filled with tourists and very festive, which I enjoyed. Did my walk, read for a bit, then home for dinner of whitefish and acorn squash.
Got a text from El saying Greg would like to stop at his mother's first today  when we get to Santa Barbara for Carolyn's cookout, so could I be at her place about 12:45? Sure, no prob, plus she's bringing wine and soda, did I want to contribute a bottle of wine, too? Will do, and I'm looking forward to the party.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...