Thursday, September 20, 2018

Carless Still

No wonder I'm keeping my weight off. After Kimball and breakfast, I rushed to Jessica Nails to get a pedicure, which I needed badly. I told them to skip the fancy stuff--lotions and leg rubs--and just concentrate on my tootsies. The sweet girl did so and I was out of there in about 45.  Drove directly to Hertz, turned in the rental, and approached one of the sales reps about buying a car. I told her what I wanted and got her on the hunt.
Hertz called Lyfte to drive me home and I was picked up by a very pleasant, youngish woman, who took me home. She said the pickup cost Hertz $9.95, which seems reasonable and I might call them for other things. Lunch, then I dug out some pics to show the girls, and high-tailed it to the bus stop. Got to town about 3:00, so I just walked to the library and read for a bit before it was time to meet Diane, Nancy, and Carolyn at Club Fiore at 4:00.
Hey, this is a neat place and their Happy Hour menu is superb. We sat outside on the very attractive patio and ordered. I had a beer, Carolyn a bloody Mary, but Nancy just water, as she was driving and had picked up Carolyn.* The food was excellent, too, and as ever, so were the laughs.
While there, I got a call from Dr. Jennings' office about my dex scan. I already got the results, that I have some cause for concern, but it isn't other than expected because I my age, I guess, so I opted to wait to discuss it until my next appointment in December. Also got a call from niece Carolyn, inviting me to a birthday party for nephew Steve, on Saturday. Yes, natch, I'll be there.
We stayed until about 5:30 and agreed that next Wednesday, we'll go to Lure Fishhouse, which happens to be right next door to Club Fiore. When Nance and I were at Lure on Sunday, we had a great time.
Said goodbye to my pals and headed up to Main Street. I was going to walk down to The Promanade, but it started to get cool and I didn't have a jacket on, so decided not to. Instead, I walked up to the mission and got the bus there. Stopped at Vons, which is right on the next block from me, after I got off the bus. Got some beautiful grapes, and that was my day.
I'm elated that I can function fine without a car, which makes me feel freer and more independent. How long this feeling will last is anybody's guess.
* Nancy and I often go to The Cave, to lunch, and on other excursions, plus to the widder dinners and lunches. She has always had a glass--or two--of wine on those occasions, so why not yesterday? She explained that she wasn't driving someone else then. However, I'm quite sure she abstained because Carolyn had when she was driving Nancy. Nancy is a good friend and companion, but she has a tendency to emulate others, like a good little girl. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
With the amount of walking you do, your bones should be fine without medication. Osteopenia is a made up term....no big deal...means low bone density..sort of a guide for docs. They'll probably just tell you to walk.....LOL

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat. I'm sure you're right and the doc just thought she should give me the option to come in so she can tell me that. (I should let her know I have an adviser in Jersey!)

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...