Saturday, February 17, 2018

Maritime Museum Saturday

Walked Kimball, then did this and that--what? don't remember-after breakfast until it was time to shower and dress for the Maritime Museum. I wasn't quite as early this time, but early enough. It turned out to be a fun day.
The first person to come in was my friend, Bobbi R., from T.O.P.S., along with a few others. Later, my park pal, Irene, came, then Deb M., whom I know from VCS, with two friends. It was good to see them, but I stayed in character and gave them my Dutch best.  During a slight lull in visitors, I went up to the landing office for ten minutes, where a nice spread was laid out. Had lunch with two fellow volunteers before going back down.  In between "customers," I chatted up several of the others, including Rhonda, who does a great French accent portraying Queen Charlotte, and somebody playing "Britt," whose real name I forget. There were lots of others, including several men.
The most fun was when children came and I was able to interact with them. The program included questions about each character's talk; if answered correctly at the end, participants would get a free book about the museum. Since I had written in my script that my "husband"--the man painted into the picture of 1622--resembled Santa Claus because of his long white beard, Connie put the question "who is he?" in the program. In the middle of all this, a man from the Ventura Star came in and videotaped Connie, then took some stills of me. I'll have to check to see if Connie appears on the web page and I in the paper.
Connie asked if we could stay until 4:30--sure--and she gathered us for a little memorial talk about a very active, longtime volunteer named Bob Little, who died a few days ago. We left after that.
Chairs were provided, but I didn't sit often, as it was busy. At the end of the day, I was pretty tired--unusual for me, but I had stood most of the day and the routine was different. It was fun, though, and I'm looking forward to going back today.

No comments:

Saturday

Instead of taking my usual sandwich when I meet Diane for lib lunch, I made a salad. Walked over the footbridge, dropped the book off at the...