Sunday, February 11, 2018

A Fall And Pat

Walked Kimball and saw Irene, as usual; gave her two invites to the "Art Comes Alive" event for her and Diane.
Home and did the usual. Chopped my lettuce and other things for lunch salad (I like to have it ready early) and went to get the cabbage I bought at WinCo, which I was going to cut up and put it in the slow cooker. To my annoyance, I realize it was iceberg lettuce, not cabbage. I know it was in a bin marked cabbage because it was next to the red cabbage. The doofy produce person obviously can't tell the difference.
Went to Office Max and had the "Art..." flyer copied and shrunk to half size. I want to hand them out at the Toastmaster's meeting tomorrow and the one I have is 8 x10.  There's no sense in everybody getting them that big. Copied it at home. We're going to meet at The Brewery on the corner of Santa Clara and Oak, which I know well, so I took a slightly different route to the library to pass it. Thought I'd stop in and look where we'd be. I went in the side door and...
...fell right down, not noticing the step.  I fell hard on my right knee and was sprawled on the floor. It was crowded and people stared, but the only one who came to help was a young waiter. I wouldn't be surprised if customers thought I was an old drunk and maybe homeless. It's terrible how you get so inured to suffering that you shrug and turn away.  Luckily, I quickly knew I didn't do any great damage; I was able to stand and to walk. I do have two pretty deep scrapes on my knee, but I resumed my walk to the library. On the way back, I stopped into Spice Topia and they let me put a flyer there. I also have one in the Japanese restaurant--must see if Diane wants to lunch there sometime.
Called Nancy to see how her allergy is and she said much better, so we're on for a movie and The Cave on Tuesday.  I had e-mailed my children for their advice on the laptop thing; Patrick and Mike responded so far. I had looked at some at Office Max.
Today, Pat would have been 87 years old if he was still on this earth.  I think of him, but less often than I used to.  It's funny that when I picture him, I see him not as a sick and angry old man, but as I knew him first when we were young--sigh.
Note: I forgot to mention yesterday that I went to the AAA to straighten something out about my car insurance. I wasn't sure whether they took out the payment automatically and I double paid them for February. Got it taken care of and that's off my mind. The reason I add it here is because I sometimes use the blog to keep track of such things.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

It's too late now but some ice to your knee right away woud reduce swelling, but maybe it wasn't needed. Glad you didn't do any more harm. I hate it when I fall and everyone sees me sprawled out....I've even fallen at sites with yellow flags marking the area.....not too bright am I.

The mgr of that place should do something to warn folks about the danger or he/she could have a major law suit on their hands if someone gets badly hurt.

Mimi said...

You're right, Pat. The step is right after the side door, which is the one I used, and there are stickers on the wall next to it, but they're not prominent. I put some Neo-sporin on my scrapes and they don't hurt anymore. No other problem with the knee; I walked further and slept well last night. We have a meeting tomorrow night, which I'll attend, but I'm going in the front door!

Sunday

The Camarillo Garden Tour with Suzanne, but as it turned out, I greatly enjoyed it. We left at noon, drove to Camarillo and started at the f...