Thursday, February 08, 2018

BCNN

I had forgotten to turn on the alarm, so slept until 6:15. That was okay, as I had time to do my usual, plus walk Kimball, then get changed for the BCNN meeting. I had volunteered to bring one of the goodies, so put my fruit together. I mixed sliced fresh strawberries and fresh blueberries with frozen cherries, mango, and blueberries and put it in my large white bowl. Put that into a basket I have and lined it with a pretty rose cloth.
Arrived early, but Sue was already there and Doris and Sherry came shortly after. We sat together, as usual I also enjoyed chatting with Terry S., who had been in my acting class, and others, including a woman named Jeanne Hunter. We fell into conversation at the free books table and I found she's been a volunteer for the museum for several years. Told her I was looking into it.
As the meeting wound down--not soon enough for my taste, I'm afraid--Sue took me aside and asked if I'd like to go to lunch. Do I ever turn down an invitation? Of course not, and we went to the nearby, newly opened Blue Agave.
I like this place a lot. It's Mexican, but good, and I had a soft taco/enchilada combo plate and an IPA. Sue had a salada in a big edible shell. After she had finished the salad, we both nibbled at the shell, sort of like Hansel and Gretel.  I was taken aback when Sherry suddenly came in to give Sue her card "in case you don't have my number." As Sue said later, maybe we should have asked her to stay, but Sue just wanted to talk to me and as she said, "Sherry is so needy." Yes, she is and she can be a pain in the ass, too. Since it wasn't even quite 11:30 when we sat down, I was surprised at myself that I could eat that early, but I did and enjoyed it.
We talked and talked. Sue's husband, Mac, is sinking deeper and deeper into dementia and essentially, she has no family at all.  Her parents and only sister are gone and she has a somewhat remote relationship with Mac's daughter, who lives in Georgia. Anyway, it's all on her, all the time. However, she was relieved to talk to me about it, and we both enjoyed the lunch.
Got home, changed, and got a call from Nancy. Unfortunately, her allergies are very bad and she probably won't make it to lunch today. Neither will Carole or Sue, as they both have ailing husbands, so I guess it will be just Doris, Sherry, and me.
Did the usual town walk. Had a weird dinner: a large bowl spinach, dressed with olive oil, lime juice, and garlic; a can of peas; and a can of pickled beets.  One of my rules is to have protein at every meal--well, I didn't at this one, but once in six months or so, I guess it's okay.
I got up for the usual about 3:00 and just couldn't get back to sleep for what seemed like hours. Every once in a while this happens and it wish it wouldn't.

No comments:

Sunday

The Camarillo Garden Tour with Suzanne, but as it turned out, I greatly enjoyed it. We left at noon, drove to Camarillo and started at the f...