Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Snails And Geraniums

I made a phone call and expressed regret for my reaction on Sunday to the disappointing news. I was understood and we had a good talk. I hope to be able to get to NM in July, but it's all up in the air at the moment. I'm okay now, even reasonably chipper, so that's good.
I called Grey Law and left a message, but haven't yet heard back. I'll call again this morning and see if I can get some answers.
Walked to Smart 'n' Final and back (total, about 3) for staples, such as carrots and blueberries, the usual. Stopped at Dollar Tree for plastic salad tongs (I had broken the the one I use everyday) and trekked back.
The way home is past the lemon orchards on Telegraph Road (no, I haven't snatched any lemons; I still have some in the freezer from Ellen) and I was interested to see so many little snails on the pavement. When I was a kid in Ventnor, I don't remember seeing any snails in the wild, so to speak. I remember little cartoon ones and those my brother bought to keep his fish tank clean, but not outside. I think they're cute, although I believe they eat flowers and things.
Speaking of--I was dismayed when I went out to the patio to see what happened to my pretty geranium plant. The first picture is how it looked two days ago:
The second picture is how it looks now, with the blooms hit:
I know how it happened: I had heard one of the workers using a zapper, or whatever they are, to trim the grass next to the beds and and the geranium, as shown, hangs over it a bit. He got too close and must have hit it with the device. I was all set to call Bianca and tell her I want it replaced, but then started to think about it. The gardener is surely minimum wage, may even be undocumented, may not speak English, and has a shitty job to begin with. He may be supporting a family. He certainly didn't get a very good deal in life and here I am, comfortably fixed, with few worries or real problems and, damn, the geranium will probably survive anyway. So the hell with complaining. Now the phony "utility bill"--that's worth complaining about!  
Ellen came about five and put in my pretty yellow daisy. It looks great and I plan to buy another of the delicate little white ones--maybe two--to add. I took her advice and cut off the broken geranium blossoms and put them in a vase. There are plenty of more buds on it, so I'm going to stop "dwelling," as the saying goes. (I'm afraid I'm the champion dweller of all ime.) 



2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Hey, Mimi!

Jim Wetzel here, the guy who went dormant at the Chestnut Tree Cafe. Just in case you don't have enough worthless things to read, I'm blogging again, but not on Blogger. Now I'm doing a wordpress blog at my own site: wordforgeproductions.com. (There's also a link at my old place.)

Seems like you're doing well since moving out west -- glad to see it!

Mimi said...

Jim, it's great hearing from you again. I've thought about you and wondered how you're doing, too. I'm going to go to wordforgeproductions.com right this minute. Thanks for getting in touch!

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...