Friday, May 08, 2020

Crying And Communism

Since I was completely out of fresh produce, I set off after breakfast for the market. Got mushrooms, broccoli, lettuce (I had to settle for iceberg, as they had no romaine), onions, an acorn squash, and big green and red peppers. Walked halfway home and caught a bus the rest of the way.
After lunch, I kind of half-heartedly cleared up the lower shelf on one of my bookcases. This contains loose-leaf binder in which I keep some of my enormous numbers of family pictures and documents, such as my father's death certificate. Naturally, I also spent time on a virtual jigsaw puzzle and a few other idle amusements. I surprised myself after completing this puzzle by bursting into tears:
I cried at what was lost, of course, but I actually felt better after. After lunch, I took the footpath to the park, sat down on a bench, and called the little girl on the left above. We had a pleasant talk. I ran into both Diane and Leah on my way there and back.
At the little library--now open in the front--I found something I've long been wanting to read: The Communist Manifesto. Picked it up and emailed Jim C. to tell him; he teaches philosophy at the college, so I know he's read it and after I do, I want to discuss it with him. Growing up and even to the present, you're fed a steady diet of Marx and Engels being the devils' helpmates and now that I hope I've freed myself of that, I want to read it with an open mind.
Home, I got a present for something or other (ha!) in the mail, which I'll open on Sunday. Video-called the sender and talked to her and her husband. I then v-called Ellen, but she was swamped with work still, although it was after 5:00. She'll get back in touch today.
I still haven't received the book I ordered on April 21 via Amazon. They keep telling me it will come "tomorrow," but, it seems, tomorrow never comes. Well, I'll follow up on it, but I've been in touch with the seller and have gotten a response back, so assume I'll either get a replacement or a refund.
Now it's 6:30 am and I'll be walking to Quest Diagnostics in an hour.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

That photo is surely a treasure. And I understand your pain. Little by little she's leaving. It may be the hardest way--I don't know....loss hurts. I do love that photo with her touching your arm. Love to Betty and you.

Mimi said...

Thank you so much, Pat.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...