Saturday, May 16, 2020

A Young Couple And Capitalism

Stripped and changed the bed and did a bleach wash. Scrubbed the kitchen double sink. It's stainless steel and always shines when it's done, but water marks soon spot it, which is annoying.
Put some books in my little cart and walked the footbridge to the park to re-supply the little library, even though there's no door. While there, I was on the phone and got some disconcerting news: My trip to Jersey, both airline ticket and airBnb planned and paid for, will probably not come off, at least not that way it was originally. I understand that those flying into Jersey have to be initially quarantined for two weeks "in place." No way am I going to spend fourteen days with strangers or--worse--with just myself. We had a discussion about an alternate plan, but it's still up in the air.
My friend, Suz, a doer and shaker around town, whom I had consulted about a free consultation attorney, suggested I contact a Mike Williams at Grey Law. I looked it up, but they are open only M-F from 9 to 2:30 and it was just after that. I sent an email with a synopsis and will call him on Monday.
Home, lunch, and I tidied up a bit. Showered and prepared to meet Isaac and Leah, the couple who emailed me that had gotten the letter I sent to Bianca. They came about 4:00 and I took them outside to the picnic table.
What a delightful young couple! We talked for more than an hour and I filled them in with various info about the apartment complex. They moved here only in February, just in time for the virus thing, unfortunately, so they haven't met many other residents. We discussed the rent, the "utilities charge," and lots of other topics. Both are native Californians and Leah was born and brought up in Ojai; her aunt lives down the street from Ellen. Isaac is of Chinese decent, Leah Caucasian; I was interested to learn they went to Tokyo on their anniversary.
They kept masks on the whole time, although it was surely unnecessary. Leah said her sister, who lives in New York, had had the virus, has recovered, but was very sick, so I guess they're wary. Anyway, it was so enjoyable to meet and talk with them. I told them I'd keep them posted on the problemo with the "utilities" charge.
Speaking of which: When I went home, I found on my door a letter from Bianca, repeating the tired old phrases she used on the phone--oh, no, no, there's no double charge, what could you be thinking? I'd find it ever so refreshing if, once in a while, these tiresome minions of the powerful would just say, "yeah, we're gauging you and the rest of the powerless, so what?"  Instead, we get this sanctimonious crap. Of course, that's what capitalism is, as so many who defend it keep skipping over. 
I forgot to mention before that my nephew, Patrick Byrne, the head and neck surgeon at Johns Hopkins, has accepted the offer of chair of the otolaryngology department at the Cleveland Clinic. Not sure when he starts, but he, Susan, and the four kiddies will be moving to Ohio shortly.



2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I forgot to ask if you saw Sr. Mary Jane's secretary's obit in yesterdays AC Press. She looks much like she did when we knew her.

Mimi said...

I didn't, Pat, but will look it up now. Thanks.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...