Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Buses And Byrne'es

Buses don't run on Memorial Day--AAGH! That meant I couldn't go anywhere more than a few miles away, so it was somewhat of a slow pokey day. I called my cousin Kevin's wife, Linda, at 10:00 am and we talked for exactly one hour and thirty minutes!
I like her so much. We filled each other in on backgrounds (the reticence of the Byrne family, into which I was born and the Irish in general); present day doings (not much exciting because of The Situation), and tragedies and other unfortunate happenings of family.
I heard about hers: older son who died a week after his thirtieth birthday; whether suicide or an accident seems hard to fathom; younger son recently endured an unpleasant divorce; daughter who's gaining a worrisome amount of weight; only grandchild, four years old she rarely sees. I shared some of the difficult experiences we've had, too, although they seem to have been very few, lately, I'm  happy to note. We also bonded over other mutual likes and dislikes.
Linda is younger than I am: just turned 70, and Kevin and she are the same years apart as my husband, Pat and I were: seven years. I remember my cuz as a one-year-old, I guess, in diapers, but don't even remember seeing him since. She asked if I wanted to say hello to him. I did, but oh, yeah, he's a Byrne, all right,  no spark there.
After, I went back to my "job" of typing out my father's journal. Finally finished January and will continue on. I called Betty to see if she had a better copy of the newspaper about our father's death in 1950. If so, she doesn't know where it is. I messaged the Press of Atlantic City, asking if they  had it in the archives.  Got a response that digitized copies are kept at the Atlantic City library. I'll try there.
Walked over to Von's for lettuce and carrots--oh, and I picked up some Chardonnay, too. I chose Gallo because my cousin, the aforementioned Kevin, retired from there. He was a senior research scientist for Gallo Winery--has a doctorate, which I guess you need for working at a winery--but why?
Got an email from David W., who had contacted me about the utilities bill. We arranged to "meet in the middle" of the complex today at 4:30. In fact, I'm meeting two men today: "Jesse" is coming to wash my sliding door window at noon.
I've been trying to get my friend, Nancy, on Zoom.  We want to have a virtual Happy Hour together, but I just can't seem to do it. What a drag. No real walking yesterday; aside from Von's, I started out after dinner, but just walked around the block.
My new little grandkittens:

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...