Saturday, July 27, 2019

T.O.P.S., El, And Charles Manson

I was happy to have slept long and deep--didn't wake up until 7:15 and that was because Fern called me back. Talked to her and was invited to a going-away party in a few weeks for Judi, who's moving back to her native Minnesota next month.
Went to T.O.P.S.; I'm up a tad,but at 130.5, half a pound over my ideal, I'm okay with it. While there, my brother, Larry, called. He and sixteen of his family are in Budapest; I had a great time talking to him and was just as glad to go in the other room and skip some of the meandering meeting.
Home, I had breakfast (at 10:30, dammit), changed the sheets, took them and other whites to the laundry place, and paid a few bills on-line. I had just gone back to put them in the dryer (not the bills, the clothes--ha!) when El called. We were going to to get together today, but since I have "paint day" for the play from 10 to 4, we decided we'd just meet for lunch yesterday. I simply left my clothes--I knew nobody would take them--and El picked me up.
We went to the Hill Street Cafe, sat outside on the patio, and I had a lovely time with my girl. She showed me a lot of pictures and videos from the trip to New Mexico. I had had breakfast two hours earlier, so just had a cup of soup and a Corona.
El dropped me off and I got my clothes, re-made the bed, folded, and put away.  Did more computer stuff, then walked over to Von's. Stella had texted me, asking if I was going to the Manson Family talk at the museum. Yes, but she can't, so why she texted me, I'm not sure. I bused there and got to the museum in plenty of time.
The Manson talk was okay, although it didn't tell me anything new. I found the speaker, Ivor Davis, who's 81, more interesting. He actually lives in Ventura and had when he was a London Times reporter fifty years ago. He reported on the murders then and earlier, had gone on tour with The Beatles for several months.
Davis vehemently refuted the Manson idea that the Beatles song, "Helter-Skelter" was some kind of call for a race war. He showed stills and film clips, then took questions from the audience. Interestingly,he writes for The Ventura Reporter, a monthly devoted to arts and entertainment. Think I'll ask Jeff if he may have contacted Davis for a piece on our American Roadhouse.
Bought the book, Manson Exposed/A Fifty-Year Journey Into Murder And Madness, but didn't wait around to have him sign it; it was a full house and I wanted to get home while it was still light.
I didn't, however. Although it was only 7:45 when I left, the bus was late and I didn't get home until after 9:00. Settled into the usual and slept well.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...