Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Santa Barbara, Gail, And Panic

A pretty full day. I took the usual bus/bus/bus. At the transit center, I fell into conversation with a nice woman and impulsively, sat with her on the way to SB. We chatted and found we're compatible. Her name is Gail, she lives with her ex-husband (these arrangements are common now, I believe), and has two daughters, one in SB, and one granddaughter. I thought she was my age and was startled when I found she's only 69. (I never thought I'd see the day when I'd precede "sixty-nine" with "only.") Anyway, we found we're both enthusiastic walkers, exchanged information, and I said I'll contact her and we'll get together.
Got to Betty's door, as usual, at 11:28 and was pleased to see Carolyn and Finn there, too--they were cleaning the apartment. I had told Betty I didn't want to go to the monthly birthday party at 2:00, so wanted to leave after lunch. However, Carolyn had to pick her husband, Dana, up at work at 1:30, so we went to lunch at a place in town, then she dropped me at the library (the Coastal Express stops there, as well as at other places).
I viewed the art in the Faulkner Room--I think he lived in Santa Barbara at one time--then read for a bit. Decided to walk to where I usually get the CE back to Ventura, as it's the first one and I'd have my choice of seats. Did so, and we took off at 2:20.
As I usually do,  I got off the first stop in town an walked up Main a mile or so. I then discovered I couldn't find my drivers license, which I need to drive and oh, yes--to ride the bus home. When I told the bus driver, though, he just asked what year I was born and I got on.
I was in a panic because I have rehearsal tonight and while I could get there on the bus, it's scheduled  to go on until 9:00, at least, and I didn't want to get on the bus that late. I called the Access van and arranged to be picked up and driven home. However, when I got home--after 5:00--I emptied my purse and found my license stuck in some out-of-the-way place--whew! 
At that point, Suzanne stopped in to give me an update on her painful right side. She called her brother, who's an internist in San Diego and he said to go to an orthopedic doc who is familiar with shoulders. She did and found that the problem isn't her fibromyalgia,* but bursitis. Luckily, the doc gave her good advice, which includes therapy and exercise. Steroids are an option at some point, but they're considered a last resort.
* Those illiterate techies at Spellcheck don't know how to spell this. Of course, neither do I--had to look it up.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...