Monday, July 29, 2019

Here And There

Finally got a lot of paperwork crap cleared up, including a new landscape problem at my house in Jersey. I had gotten a letter from the homeowners association to the effect I had to have any trees overhanging "public walkways" trimmed to seven feet up." Texted Tony C., the landscaper who did the bushes last month, and he said he look at it (I think there's only one next to the sidewalk). Texted my tenant, Eileen, to let her know.
Called my dear friend, Marge, who's now 92. Talked to Fred, a few years younger, who is a hard of hearing, impatient, full-time caregiver for her (and believe me, I understand and sympathize completely) then Marge. I hadn't spoken to  her for months and sadly, she seems even more hesitant and slow on the uptake, but certainly not with dementia. We talked for just a few minutes, as I didn't want to tire her. She did say and this was good to hear, that her physical problems (back, leg, etc.) are less painful. I dread the call from Fred or Marge's daughter that I know is coming before long.
Stella, my ever-needy friend, called about 11:00 to ask if I wanted to go to the Green Thumb Nursery. (She has a big property and a regular gardener and wants bamboo--maybe a mistake, as I understand they're very invasive.) Since I've been thinking I might like a night-blooming jasmine on the patio, I agreed.
We went, but neither of us bought anything. We also stopped at Lowe's, where Stella had already bought several plants half price before she picked me up. She showed me a geranium she said was for me.What? I hadn't asked her to get me anything and am not necessarily looking forward to planting--and taking care of--something else, but after protesting, I thanked her and said okay. We then went to lunch at the Stonefire Grille, after which I asked her to drop me in town.
I like Stella okay, but she's very clingy and a little flaky at times. She asked me to come over for dinner, then said she'd love to have me stay a few days--oh, no, no, no. This isn't all about her; some of it's my fault. My mantra is  "never turn down an invitation" and I should rethink that once in a while. Next time Stella calls, I think I'll beg off, even if I have to invent another commitment.
Called Nancy, Diane, and Ellen from the bus. Nance and I made a date for today when I'll treat her to her birthday lunch. Diane was sure there was a Yolanda's (for Happy Hour on Thursday) on Victoria Avenue in Ventura, but I knew there isn't. We looked it up and found it's actually on Victoria Avenue in Oxnard, so we'll have to come up with a new place.
Went out after dinner to look at Suzanne's patio; unfortunately, it seems Gordon hasn't watered, as he promised he would. I tried to do it myself, but couldn't  turn the faucet, which seems to be stuck. I'll try again today.
Took the car to Wal-Mart to look for tomato stakes for my larger tomato plants, but they didn't have any. Maybe I'll get some cages today.


No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...