Thursday, July 25, 2019

Gail And Rehearsal

Ran out-actually, drove out--to Smart 'n' Final for my daily does of blueberries; I bought two 19- ounce cartons.
Left at 11:00 for the bus to town, but barely made it to the Aloha to meet Gail at noon. We started walkeing and boy, this gal is a champion. We took The Promenade all the way to Main, then looped around and back to the Aloha. Gail noted that we had walked for one hour--pretty briskly,  too. I was pleased about that.
Had a good lunch at the Aloha and got to know Gail a bit better. She's much younger than I am--69, so less than a decade older than my older son. I knew she was divorced and has two daughters and one granddaughter. I also knew she and her ex-husband lived together.
Romantically? No, it just suits both of them, as they're still "friendly," she said. However, from what she said, he seems a little odd, or even paranoid. She has some assets, but is concerned about having enough for her senior years, which is why she doesn't try getting a place of her own. Interestingly, she and her husband married, divorced, then married again, then divorced again.
Anyway, we were very open with each other. What's peculiar, maybe, is that I keep thinking of her as a contemporary, but hardly. Although the 13-year age gap isn't huge, we actually are from different generations and eras. For instance, she was brought up Protestant (in a perfunctory way), but sent her daughters to Catholic grammar school.  Why? Because Gail's mother was the secretary at the school and they got free tuition. Gail liked the idea of them wearing uniforms to eliminate the rivalry and one up man ship that often surfaces in kids' dress. She was surprised to hear we didn't wear uniforms at St. James. She isn't religious at all.
Anyway, I like her and find her interesting. She's a kind of conventional liberal. When I said something vaguely political--can't remember what it was--she said, "Oh, you're a democrat." "Absolutely not," I said, which she found befuddling until I added, "nor a republican, either." Anyway, she gets her "news" exclusively from television; that was disappointing, but she does show interest in exploring other venues, which is promising in a friend.
Anyway, a fun day. After we parted, I stopped at the library to get Andrew Yang's book, The War On Normal People/The Truth about America's disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future.  Just read a few pages on the bus home, but it looks interesting.
Rehearsal last night went well and we worked out some rough spots. We go again today at 6:00 tonight, so reluctantly, I'm going to have to tell my gang I'll skip Happy Hour.

No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...