Monday, April 08, 2019

Phone And Dudley

Well, I didn't get any walking in yesterday, but if stress counts for anything, I probably burned a thousand calories. I got up at my usual, 5:30, and did my thing. I remembered that the park gates aren't open until 7:00 on Sundays, so waited while computing. When I realized what time it was, it was almost 8:00 and I thought the hell with it, I'll skip it.
Picked up my phone and saw it wasn't turning on. A message came up to the effect that the battery was too low to turn it on. What? I had been charging it overnight, as usual. After my customary wailing and gnashing of teeth, I went to Cricket when it opened at 10 to buy a new battery.
Amanda, who has helped in the past, wasn't there; instead there was another young woman. She said they don't sell batteries. Then where can I buy one? She didn't know, but said I must have overcharged it. (It's always my fault, you see, no matter what goes wrong with a product.) She said I'd probably have to upgrade. Initial cost? A hundred smackers, plus, I'd be willing to bet, a much higher monthly charge. I left and went to Wal-mart to buy a battery. They didn't  have one. The guy there suggested I got to a battery shop nearby. I did. The young man there, very courteous, took the phone apart (you can't tell what battery it has unless you do), looked at his stock and said they didn't cell that kind--maybe I could get one on-line. I rushed out and home, now having to have lunch, then get ready for my docent stint at Dudley House. Before that, I sent Ellen a PM via Facebook to tell her about the phone. She suggested I get a tracfone in the interim.
Laboriously put on my Victorian outfit (long-sleeved blouse with hard to close little tiny buttons; heavy black underskirt; even heavier black overskirt; black lacy shawl-type thing; cameo pin and docent pin; and velvet buttoned belt. Most problematic was my wig, with hair holder thing under. Boy, is that tight and uncomfortable. Of course, so is the wig.
Got to Dudley House before 1:00 and conducted several tours. I hadn't really boned up enough on my presentation, but it came back pretty easily. Lynne and Darlene were there, as were Richard and Shari; Jan stopped in, also.
The day went well and I left at the end at 4:00.  I had planned to go home, change (I was roasting in the Victorian outfit), then go get a tracfone. However, I remembered a place call Ubreakifix was in the Von's shopping center; not expecting much, I stopped there. The young man there asked several questions, including--this is key--"did you use the (charging) wire that came with the phone?" Actually, I hadn't; I had had another one plugged in next to the bed, and used that. He advised me to use the one that came with the phone.* I went home, go that one, plugged it in, and within a few hours, my phone was fully charged and usable. Now, why couldn't the person at Cricket have done that? Something tells me she works on commission.
However, all is well now--until my next crisis. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I'd keep that ubreakifix place in my memory. BTW, did he charge you for the advice?

Mimi said...

Pat, he didn't not! Of course, I asked how much I owed him and he said nothing. What a breath of fresh air!
BTW, I forgot about the asterisk. I meant to complete the thought by mentioning I didn't even know it had come with one. Because this was a upgrade from my earlier phone, I hadn't bothered to look in the box.

Saturday

Instead of taking my usual sandwich when I meet Diane for lib lunch, I made a salad. Walked over the footbridge, dropped the book off at the...