Thursday, August 09, 2018

Various And Sundry

Walked Kimball and saw my park pals.  Diane and Sue had come to the fair thing; others congratulated me.  Carolyn and Bob were unable to go, but Carolyn asked if I'd like to be in a book club. I told her I'd rather do that than hang by my thumbs for three days, but--. I consider reading an intimate experience and why would I would be interested in others' ideas about a book, except for the author? She seemed surprised at that, but I'm beginning not to care if I surprise, shock, or annoy people when I express an opinion.
Wrote out my "I'm raising the rent" letter to Eileen, my tenant, and called Walter to be sure I was doing the thing right, with corrected copies of the lease, and so on. He said he was no longer in real estate (he's a year older than I am), but assured me what I did was legal. Talked to Susan, too, which was so good. They were my across-the-street neighbors during our years in Sunrise Bay, and very agreeable ones.
I had seen that David Mirsch, a former publicist, was speaking at the museum at 11:00 about his experiences with the various actors and sports figures he represented.  I decided to go, but it was only mildly interesting, as he's now 83 and most of the "stars" he worked with are up in the starry firmament now. Went from there to Sprouts for blueberries and grapes.  Betty called to congratulate me on my second-place at the fair, and we chatted. We will both go to Marybeth's funeral on the 24th; she with Steve and Robyn, although I'm not sure how I will--maybe by train.
Parked at the library, then met Diane at 3:00 for Happy Hour at the Crown Plaza and we were taken aback to learn they no longer have it on the side patio. We had to sit on the back patio and, although the setting in lovely with an ocean view, we were not happy with the service.  We're going to look at other places. Walked back to the library and read for a bit, then drove home.
Called Nancy and I'll finally take her out to lunch today for her birthday.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

"Starry firmament"...never heard that one. Love it.
I'm in total agreement about book clubs. They have one here and I went a couple of times, but I want to read what I want to read. Our church book group (they don't call it a club) is better ...no so much the books but the attendees are thinkers and we have great discussions.

As far as expressing opinions....good for you. I feel the same and I know some people are turned off...they aren't my kind of people anyhow, I love a good discussion ...pros and cons etc.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...