Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Poinsettia Toastmasters

Kimballed, breakfasted, washed clothes, and got a few other chores done.  Took my car for an oil change to Pep Boys, another in the long list of companies from Hell that are determined to drive me bananas. Appointment was at 10:00 and it was after 11:00 when I got outta there. The careless, indifferent person on the counter assured me an oil change always took an hour and that my annoyance was the result of me "making a big thing of it." So much for customer service in Ventura. I called Nancy while I was waiting and we made a date for a movie and Happy Hour today. I said I'd call Diane to invite her; did and left a message.
Lunched and drove  to town. This time, I explored "Surfers' Point," a beautiful area in which to walk and bike right next to the ocean, with an estuary, extravagant foliage, and a great variety of birds. I'll make it a point to walk here frequently.
Home, shower, off to Dudley House at 5:30 to open up for Toastmasters. I took back and left in the storage room the props I had used for Caroline Dudley.  I'll be back on Sunday when I conduct the tour for CC and her church group. The aforementioned came in about 6:00 and we set up for the meeting.
I had been asked at the last minute to be "ah counter." Yes, these things are noted at Toastmasters, the idea being it's distracting for the audience to hear "ahs" and filler words. We had only two speakers this time--there are usually three--Celina and Denise. Both were pretty good, but Denise was far superior, yet Celina won the "best speaker" award.  I suspect the newness and cuteness of the speaker sways the voters (the other members).
Sat next to Ken Smith, who is one of those Toastmasters, like Fern, whose whole life seems to revolve around the club. He's won all kinds of awards and has held all kinds of offices. Unfortunately, last year or so, he suddenly had a seizure, and was hospitalized for some time before a cause and a cure could be found. I don't think they ever were, but with medication he hasn't had one for six months and had actually gotten his driver license back.
The meeting broke up at 8:00, but as usual, people lingered to chat until I hustled them out and locked up. 

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...