Sunday, October 04, 2015

Insomnia

Well, I stayed inside all day, just brooding about that ticket. Stepped outside the door only once, to get the paper. Otherwise, I put pork ribs and barbecue sauce in the slow cooker, read more of Mr. S., fooled around on the computer, and took a short nap. I was licking my wounds.
My friend, Jeanne P., e-mailed me, so I called her and that helped a bit. Betty called and things got a bit brighter. Even better was a Skype visit from that sweet little guy from Tokyo, smiling and laughing and talking in two languages--so bright, so happy, and so engaged with the wondrous world. How could I help but come almost all the way back to normal?
My emotional rehabilitation was further advanced with a call from Ellen late in the day. She invited me to go to lunch today with Greg's mother, if she can make it. She'll pick me up at 11:00, we'll travel to Santa Barbara, and I'll forget my troubles. In fact, El gave me the lowdown on the controversial use of the traffic cameras that are enriching some company somewhere and may actually be costing the city money. Scumbags, the lot of them.
I experienced the worse insomnia ever. Went to bed late--at 10--and slept, but woke two hours later. Between then and 3:30 or so, I was up and down, terribly restless, maybe because I was idle all day. Finally slept and got up just now after nine. Wouldn't you know we have plans today and I'm groggy. Darn.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

You don't need me to tell you your insomnia is perfectly normal during this time of acclimating to your new environment. Once you get settled into a place you really like....you'll be popcorn, wine and good sleep. Nevertheless insomnia is a bear.
BTW, I know you are 3 hours behind my time, but I don't understand why you can't post after your breakfast like you used to do. I got into the habit of reading your blog in the AM....not the PM. I know, I know you are on PST...but I still think you are posting later. Please correct this immediately.

Mimi said...

Pat, you can be sure I'll bring this blog up to date on the insomnia war. Fervently hope to win it soon.
As for when I post--yes, you got it almost right. My habit for many years in Jersey had been to get up at 5:15, pour my coffee, then sit down and type up my blog, (not after breakfast). At 7:00, I would meet Susan for our walk, and have breakfast after that, usually between 8:15 and 9:00.
I follow exactly the same routine now, except for--yes the time difference. The first factor is that I no longer get up as early, but usually sleep until 7:30 or even later. The second is the three-hour time difference, of course.
So-o, don't know how this can be remedied, except to suggest you adjust to a later perusal. I don't want to go back to getting up as early now that I'm in this routine. By the way, Missy, I'm in a habit, too--of reading your blog right after I write mine, but sometimes you don't provide an entry at all. GASP!--maybe that's what's causing my insomnia! At least, I don't think I've skipped more than a handful of times in ten years.
Anyhow, I'm not sure this can be remedied, but I'm flattered to have gotten your message, my friend.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...