Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Noyes Museum

We had planned to go back to the Maritime Museum, but when I looked on the web site, I saw it's open only on Fridays and weekends until May.  Called Aline and we decided on the Noyes Museum in Galloway instead.  I had called Betty to ask if she wanted to meet us at Italian Gourmet for lunch, and she did, but skipped our excursion.
The museum* is small and tucked back in the woods off Route 9 in Galloway.  It's an art, as opposed to artifact, museum and frankly, ain't no Metropolitan.  I wasn't nuts about any of the three main exhibits, but the setting is lovely--on a lake, with pine trees--and Aline was happy to simply sit and contemplate it during most of our stay.  No prob, as I was okay just viewing the forgettable paintings and "found objects" (yeah, sure) metal figures.
I sat down with Aline for a bit and we were approached by a big, blustery guy who introduced himself as Tom Giegerich, born and brought up in Ventnor. Of course, I know the family; my mother and his were friends, I graduated with his sister-in-law, Teddy Mooney, and I know his brother, Al.
Tom, who was a year behind me in school, is an orthodontist and still practicing.  He was vocal about his lapsed Catholicism, which I always find more refreshing than piety.  He was with Harry Hasson, whose family, as I well recall, had a florist shop in Atlantic City, and the four of us chatted a bit.
*The founders, Fred and Ethel Noyes, were also the developers of Smithville, NJ, but recently as towns go, in 1952. There's a restaurant there called "Fred and Ethel's," which people may think is named for the I Love Lucy couple, but no. I'm amused by the idea that some may also believe the museum involves cacophony--it's pronounced "noise," after all.      

 

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...