Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Incident At Italian Gourmet

An exceedingly rainy and blustery day.  I even thought about calling Betty and begging off our lunch date at Italian Gourmet, but didn't.  First went to the P.O. and mailed the boys' Easter cards and the wedding gift to New Zealand.
Early on, I was horrified to have my computer "seize up," an apt phrase, it seems to me, meaning I couldn't get it to do anything.  It was in a dead faint and I was frantic. Luckily, I was able to revive it by unplugging, then plugging back in--or something.
Met Betty and Helen C. at Italian Gourmet and we had a nice time.  I wasn't very hungry and simply ordered a Blue Moon and a bowl of soup .  I was surprised to see this came in a portion I would estimate to be a scant eight ounces, if that.  
Betty's salad and Helen's lunches came in larger dishes, but in the same design. We saw that the restaurant has changed its china to attractive, but deceptive, bowls and plates that flare out, so they look as if they contain more.  I questioned the waitress--quietly--and she sent the manager over. He was very polite and it was a cordial exchange.  The upshot was that he said they don't actually serve bowls of soup (seems weird) and that this was standard.  Seems to me the wait staff should be made aware of the minuscule portion and tell the customer up front.
There's chicanery afoot here, that's a cinch; I can just see some hotshot sales rep, fresh out of Screw The Customer U., selling the owners on tableware that will reduce portions and up their profits.
However, the bill came and I wasn't charged for the soup.  That wasn't my aim in questioning the portion--it was only $2.99--but it was a classy gesture and I appreciated it.
Will I go to Italian Gourmet again?  Sure: It's convenient and the food is edible. However, I won't order a bowl of soup expecting to get a bowl of soup.    
   

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...