Thursday, April 03, 2014

Dress Rehearsal

Went to the thrift store and found a good pair of lacy lady gloves to cover my rings in the first act. Stopped at the library to de-dress the display window--I had reserved it only for March--and there, wouldn't you know, were the lanterns I had searched for so frantically.  I had completely forgotten I used them in the library. Did other stuff, none of which is worthy of more than an ho-hum.
Amy, the wig woman--that has a ring to it, doesn't it?--came at 3:30 to put the piece on. The wig, white with a bun, looks okay, but damn, it's uncomfortable.  It feels as if I have a very tight hat jammed on my head.  It has to be anchored securely, though, because of "George" taking it off to admire.  In addition, Mark, the sound guy, said my microphone should go under the wig, which can't happen since it's so tight.  It worked okay to have it over, though, so we'll leave it at that.  Amy will be back today to do her thing again.
Picked up Aline at 5:15 and got to Surflight before 6:00, just as Desi was walking in, too.  We settled in, and soon the rest of the cast and crew came.
Dress rehearsal was probably a shade more brisk (that's good, not bad!) than earlier run-throughs and I wasn't aware of any gross disasters.  The makeup lady, Shannon, did a nice job on my face, especially the eyes, and I was able to adjust my skirt--upward--so I didn't run the risk of actually tripping on it.  I had some minor problems: Mary thought I should be wearing a shawl and I chose a pretty black one which kept sliding off me. I had to keep adjusting and putting it back, which Jim, in the three-person "audience" told me was distracting.  Brittany offered to help me secure it tonight, so the problem will be solved that way.  I'd prefer to go without it, but my character is supposed to be coming in on a cool September morning, so best not.
I have a long, long wait between the first and fourth acts, the only ones in which I appear, so I brought my Tablet and played games and read while waiting.  The Tablet came with Jack London's Call of the Wild and, although I'm the world's least avid dog-lover, started re-reading and enjoying it.  I'm not sure if London is studied or read much nowadays, but he really was a superb writer.  Must remember to bring the Tablet tonight.
Didn't get home after dropping Aline off, until 11:30.  It took me an age to get the damn wig off, as Amy has used 42 bobby pins to secure it, even with the skull cap underneath.  Okay, I'll live with it if I don't have to worry about it sliding off.
I was glad to hear the play ran only a bit less than three hours last night, and that was after we delayed the start by about ten minutes, but without intermission. It's still fearfully long and the wordy dialogue ain't goin' nowhere, but it is what it is, and in less than eleven hours: WE OPEN!



2 comments:

Ellen said...

Break a leg, Mom!

Mimi said...

Thank you so much, honey!

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...