Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Hedda And Problems

Slept until 8:15, incredibly. I was glad Susan had a doctor's appointment up north and couldn't walk anyway, but I doubt if I would have, considering I didn't get to bed until almost midnight.
Yesterday, Aline called early and after chatting a bit, asked if I would lend her a tablecloth (she'll staff a sign-up table in the Surflight lobby) and also, pick her up for dress rehearsal tomorrow night, as well as for all performances.  I will, but I was a little less than cheerful about it, thinking I'll have a car full of stuff and a lot on my mind.  However, I took almost everything last night, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Aside from going to the only jewelry store nearby to see if somebody could get my engagement ring off--they were closed--I didn't do a lot but prepare for rehearsal, the first time we were able to do it at Surflight.  I gathered up a multitude of items, including my fancy hat from the first act, all my mourning clothes, various and sundry other clothing items, and the "Victorian bride" picture I had printed out and put in the frame holding my own wedding portrait.
Although this wasn't dress rehearsal, I wore my "Aunt Martha" outfit from Arsenic, as it includes a long skirt, and I wanted to get used to that again on stage.
Wanted to get there early, but as I was about to leave, got a call from Ellen V. and we commiserated with each other, as we both have beefs, especially with Desi's direction--or lack of it.
This is par for the course so close to opening, when we bemoan various problems, but it usually proves to be just letting off steam and all is forgotten when the curtain rises.
It's a long way to Surflight, as you have to go to Manahawkin, then over the causeway, then drove a good twelve or so miles down the island to reach it.  Got there about 5:30 to find only Bob N., who was working on the set.  Tonya, his wife and our treasurer, came shortly after, with Amy, a hairdresser who kindly agreed to do hair.
What about mine?  Neil finally came through with a grey wig which cascaded outward in curls and had some tiny braids in it.  The color is appropriate for my character, a Victorian maiden lady, but the style certainly not, and Amy set to work on it.  In a remarkably short time, she fashioned a bun-in-the-back and it looked perfect for Aunt Julia.
However, I was taken aback to see the outfit Tara had gotten from the rental agency--PINK!  My fancy hat--which is important in a minor way to establishing Hedda's character--is in shades of olive, black, and gold, so doesn't go with it at all.  Everybody thought it looked good, though, and Kathy offered to put a pink ribbon in it, so I guess it'll be okay.
I wore the outfit for rehearsal and the disaster I feared actually happened: the wig slid off my head, not while "George" was removing it, but a bit later.  I simply took it off and left it on the coffee table when I exited. Tonya said she'd give me Amy's number, so I'll call and see if I can have her anchor it better.
Tony, who plays George, borrowed my script the minute I walked in and he still isn't entirely off-book.  This is incredible--and horrifying--considering we open in three days.  I asked him why he didn't have a script and he said, "I don't know." At times, Tony seems really peculiar, although he's okay in my scenes with him. There were a few other problems last night, technical and otherwise, but this is par for the course in a play and I'm confident they'll be remedied by Thursday. The one major problem, though, can't be remedied at this late date:  With apologies to Henrik Ibsen, Hedda Gabler is too damn long.  As Grey L., our original George, and I argued, we should have cut it.  It's wordy and repetitive and when the audience falls asleep in their chairs, we're going to be sorry we didn't.  But hey, it is what it is, and now I'm getting happily excited about being on stage again.
Speaking--or writing--of "long," this is a dreadfully long post, but "is what it is," too, so shoot me.


No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...