Sunday, April 27, 2014

Garbage Talk And War Talk

Finally having a free day, I pulled together most of my Titanic outfit, which I plan to wear to Dine-Around tonight.  Susan told me she had refreshments for opera, so I think I'll at least put in an appearance there.
Went to take something back to the library and when I walked in, realized they were having their eighteenth anniversary celebration (for the Little Egg branch).  There was some kind of talk going on in the all-purpose room and I stopped in.  It was a very sparse audience, but Leslie was there.
The speaker was our deputy mayor, a man in his seventies, who was standing in for the the actual mayor.  As far as I could fathom the point of his meandering, stream-of-consciousness garbage, this guy was pontificating on the evils of unionism. He brought up instance after instance of workers goofing off and so on, until I finally asked him--yes, and why not?--to get to a point, if he had any.
Rude?  Maybe, but why should I sit there and listen to a provincial little tin-horn politician as if he's saying something important?  
As soon as I challenged him, others chimed in and said he should be addressing our concerns in Little Egg and not the world at large and they started asking him relevant questions.
What a perfect example of the pompous, self-important, self-serving asswipes we elect to office.  I'm beginning to think that, by definition, anyone who runs for anything, dog catcher to president, are idiots.
After he left, we listened to a lively and lovely three-man band which treated us to a variety of eastern European music, Jewish, Gypsy, and so on.  It was great fun and I bought one of their CDs to give Aline for her birthday.
WIDER: In contrast to the cretin mentioned above, here are a few words--well, lots of them--from my hero, Chris Hedges and that potty-penned bad-boy, Mr. Fish.  So refreshing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcShsgdWSkg
I always want to believe that anyone who listens to Chris, so eloquent and so logical, couldn't possibly continue to support war in any way. Guess that's a good example of magical thinking.


No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...