Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Show Biz

A fun, show-bizzy day.  Carl H. picked me up at 10:40, then we got Joan C. and Barbara S. and drove to The Captain's Inn in Forked River.  Lunch was delish: I had the broiled seafood and it was very tasty.  Saw and talked to a lot of neighbors and friends.
We got to the theatre (actually the Barnegat High School auditorium) and settled in to see Gypsy and what a terrific show it was!  It was so full of zest it almost lit up the stage.  The performers sang and danced superbly and each one seemed perfect for his or her part.  This is, of course, the story of stripper Gypsy Rose Lee and her formidable stage mother, fictionalized to a huge degree, I'm sure.  Anyway, it was just terrific.
Didn't get home until 5:30 and after the big lunch, just had the rest of the mixed fruit and Greek yogurt for dinner.  I had gotten a phone call from Larry just before I was picked up and meant to call him back, but didn't want to call at dinnertime, so will today.  I had also picked up a copy of my friend, Naomi P.'s autobiographical book, My Name Is Naomi and made a date to interview her today for a short piece in The Breeze.  (In my entire list of acquaintances, I don't think there's anyone who hasn't written, isn't writing, or doesn't intend to write, a book.  Who in God's name reads these things, anyway?)
Picked up Aline at quarter of seven and went to the library to see Richard Somebody do Sinatra.  It was fun although, even to my tin ear, he didn't sound much like Sinatra.  I won a (real) rose for knowing that Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis started their joint careers at The 500 Club in Atlantic City.
Got home close to 9:00, indulged in my daily wine and popcorn ant turned in. 
Got an e-mail from John asking members of the Players & Playwrights group to decide if we should meet on Friday, as the air show will be going on at the same time.  Hope we don't and I've decided not to go anyway, as 800,000 people are expected and the roads will be jammed.  Still haven't heard from John--and neither has Tonya--whether he'll accept the part of Ed in YCTIWY; hope so.
Rehearsal tonight, to which I'm looking forward.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...