Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Applebees And Wars

A thoroughly enjoyable day.  Leslie had asked if I was available for one of our little excursion and yesiree, says I.  Picked her up at 12:30 and we went to Applebee's.  Of course, I had to order Rosemary chicken and with pasta and stuff, it was very good.  Had a Blue Moon, too.
We then sat for a good two hours and talked and talked.  Leslie's three-month-old granddaughter, little Amelia, needs to have a heart operation and she's very concerned about that, of course.
I had planned on visiting the Barnegat Light Historical Museum after lunch and drove us the length of Long Beach Island.  Although I had directions from Google or somewhere, we didn't find it.  Drove back up to Beach Haven and stopped at a real estate office.  After a great deal of confusion, we jointly ascertained that we had missed it.  By that time, it was 3:30 and, as it closed at 4:00, Les and I decided we'd wait for another day.
Home, we sat on Leslie's porch and talked and talked on a range of topics, including family, religion, war-mongering (Les is a Pacifist, also), and one of our eccentric neighbors.
Dennis got home and by that time it was 5:00.  Drove the three doors down to my place, did some computer stuff, and had a light dinner.  Got a call from old (oops--make that "longtime") friend, Jeanne, and we had a good talk.  She may be coming to the play--hope so--if we even get a firm date for it.
This is the third anniversary of my husband's death.
WIDER:   When I sat down for my daily 45-minutes of television viewing, I flipped through the channels to see if there was anything mediocre I wanted to watch.  (I don't expect anything good, but mediocre is better than bad.)  In quick succession, I noticed these titles:  "Craft Wars," "Storage Wars," and "Cupcake Wars."  Why "wars?"  Must we always and forever display our tendency toward--and obscene celebration of--criminal aggression?   Couldn't the media whores come up with different designations?  It may be putting too fine a point on it, but it seems to me this promotes the notion that war is natural and normal and why would anybody think differently?  In fact, anybody who does, or who questions in the mildest way, the righteousness and sovereignty of our great country is silenced, or--maybe more effectively--ignored.
Sigh.     

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Mimi, I surely do feel your pain on all this "war" stuff. At my day job, there are conference rooms to have meetings in. They used to be called pretty straightforward names, like Conference Room 1, Conference Room 2, and so on. But now, it seems like each program has staked out a room or so, and they're all called "war rooms." It really ticks me off ... but then, very few people particularly care what ticks me off. In fact, I think I'm the only one ...

Mimi said...

No, no, Jim,I care, too!
And to change a perfectly serviceble descriptive adjuective to "war" seems a dreadful distortion. It's everywhere, I'm afraid, along with the cliches and jargon that pollute our language daily.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...