Saturday, April 07, 2012

Took THE PROJECT to A.C. Moore in Manahawkin and the lovely lady named Amy put it together for me. It looks great, but now I'm a little worried about the weight. Frank's going to have to take it back to California and boy, is it heavy. I think he'll have to take it as a carry-on. Well, I'm not going to worry about it.
After lunch, drove to Produce Junction and got a plethora of vegetables, as well as another pineapple plant, which I'll give Susan (although it's not very Eastery) and two begonias in red and yellow for the one with whom I'm spending Easter. Said one invited me to stay over tomorrow night and I will. Talked to Betty and we've firmed up plans to got to Baltimore; I'll stay at her place on Monday.
While in Atlantic County, also stopped at Canal's for wine, went to the cemetery, then to Santori's for fresh feta.
Saw an article in The Press of A.C. to the effect that our sterling officials here in Little Egg have announced an 80 percent increase in salaries which will raise the tax rate, of course. The chief financial officer is due for a 61 percent increase! Plus there are all kinds of other fiscal shenanigans, including the fact that a contractor charging $95 is no longer rendering services, but is still being paid. This after five police officers have not been called back since the layoff last year. (I wonder if there's some time of oversight agency in the county or state which investigates this kind of highway robbery.)
Hmm... I often think the crooks and liars who get fat off municipality teats purposely announce an outrageous increase like this, then make a great show of concerned reaction to public opinion. They hold hearings, listen with solemn attention to their constituents, confer, then come out with some reduction in the increase.
"Wow, great, we won!" rhapsodize the taxpayers, we got them down to only a fifty percent increase!"
Still screwed, but it seems like a victory.

3 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

I'm definitely looking forward to learning what THE PROJECT is!

iloveac said...

Me too. Did you take a photo so you can post it?

Mimi said...

Believe me, guys, it's not that exciting. It's an good idea to take a picture, Pat, and I'll try it.

Sunday And Susan

A fairly busy morning and lots of contacts--to wit: --Former tenant, Susan, texted that she'll be near my house, turn on the outside wat...