Monday, April 09, 2012

Moseyed around, then assembled the salad, showered, and dressed. Took the pineapple plant over to Susan, who had a houseful of company (relatives), most of whom I've met before. The plant made a big hit and Susan put it on a small tiled table in the sun room that adjoins the kitchen. If I say it myself, it looks terrific. I was urged to stay for a bit and have a glass of wine. I had plenty of time, so how could I refuse? Couldn't, didn't, and chatted for a bit before I said goodbye.
Left for northern climes at 2:00 and was there an hour later. I had put must of the components of the salad in separate containers--it tastes fresher when they're assembled just before serving--so put all in the refrig. Helped the hostess prepare, the other company came, and we had nice time.
Others were the host's brother, whom I like a lot, his son, wife, and their two children, and DIL's parents, a nice, convivial group, all of whom I know. Dinner was delicious: ham, corn casserole, mashed 'taters, homemade biscuits* (I've never made them, but the hostess does all the time--must try it), my salad, and other sides. One guest brought a fruit pizza for dessert--I have every intention of finding this recipe on the 'net, and making it for the next party. It's made in a a regular pizza pan, but crust is of cookie dough. There's a white icing-like layer over that, then strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, and kiwi arranged in a circular pattern. Sometimes spectacular creations like that look great, but the taste is indifferent--this was an exception--very good, and is a terrific warm-weather dessert.
Was going to stay over, but we ate early and it was still light out when the party was winding down, so changed my mine. The host and hostess are leaving this morning for a few days in Virginia, anyway. Will see them when we drive to the far north the week after next.
May not post for the next few days, as we're leaving for Baltimore and I may not have easy access to a computer--not sure.
^She kneads and rolls out the dough directly on the counter, first, of course, sprinkling it with flour. Why didn't I ever think of that? Will do with my next pie crust.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...