Saturday, September 03, 2011

Just lazed around after I got home yesterday. Was informed by the library that the book I requested, The Panic Virus, was in, so I went over to get it. Started it and found it intriguing. It concerns the propensity of the public to BELIEVE--with a capital "B"--even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the belief is untrue. A thread running through is the belief--unshakable for some--that immunization vaccines causes autism.
This false idea originated with a British physician named Andrew Wakefield, and I actually have a pen and ink portrait of him. Why? I came across it four or five years ago, either here or in the U.K., in a newspaper supplement. I cut it out because I believe Wakefield bears a remarkable likeness to my father. Must dig it out and see.
Got a welcome invitation to meet at the lake. The upstate Pennsy contingent has come south and we'll meet there, swim a bit, then have dinner on the deck up north. Sister Betty was also invited, but declined as she doesn't feel very festive today. This is the seventh anniversary of the death of her son, Jay.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...