Thursday, September 01, 2011

Got an early morning call from P. and N. They're planning a hike in northern Japan, just about where the earthquake and tsunami hit--I'm not crazy about that idea at all.
Did the three-mile and felt good for it. Zipped down to Santori's and got lots of veggies, ditto at Shop-Rite. Assembled a roasted vegetable mix, this time adding turnips and squash. Yummy. Went to the library and chatted with a few people on the phone. Other than that, nothing going on.
I'm going to spend the night with Marilyn after we attend a Trenton Thunder (minor league) game. Should be fun.
MEMORABLE QUOTES DEPT.: Here's one that opens John O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra:
There was a merchant in Baghdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture; now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me. The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the market-place and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning? That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra.


No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...