Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Had a delightful day with Leslie. First, I took the car to exercise (I usually walk), then drove to Blockbuster to return the movies I "bought"--read "rented." Saw the manager and he was nice enough to skip the fee when I explained I thought they were purchased.
Just had time to jump in the shower, dress, and pick Les up at 12:30. We went first to Shore Diner for lunch, where we stayed for more than an hour, talking and talking in our usual way. Zipped down Tilton Road to Produce Junction and boy, between the two of us, we filled the back seat with goodies. I got arugula, yams, cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, butternut squash, beets, and couldn't resist two pretty African violet plants--in honor of my precious granddaughter? I then took Les to the 69-cent store and we found a few things.
Next stop was the cemetery, where we reminisced about Pat. I told Les I wished she had known him when he was really well. I was happy to see the mums looked pretty good, if not exactly thriving. Went then to Jay's, where I reminded Les that she had given me the shell on his grave, from her backyard "Anthony's Garden," which commenmorates her son who died eight years ago at thirty-one.
Home after a full day, we said goodbye. After unpacking the car, I immediately pared the beets--about three pounds of them--cut them in chunks, sprinkled them with oil, and put them in a hot oven for an hour. Also cut up and microwaved one of the two heads of cauliflower, after adding Mrs. Dash and Parmesan cheese. Had that for dinner, along with salad I had made earlier.
Today, I'll get a lot of the rest of the veggies prepared, eat some, and put others in the fridge and freezer.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...