Monday, September 26, 2011

I was able to move the small antique "lady desk" from the guest room to the hall, then to my room, maybe temporarily. I'll decide where it will go after my Christmas company leaves. Also moved the (small) green bookcase to the hall to clear the way for the men from Habitat to move out the recliner. Can't decide whether to give that up, too, or not. Changed my bed, did wash, and cooked butternut squash in the crock pot; had it for lunch and it was good.
Showered and dress for the "Dine Around" and went down the street to the R.'s. About thirty of us met at The Grapevine on Route 9. I've been there several times over the years and the experiences have been uneven. They catered our fiftieth anniversary party and did it beautifully, but I've had lunches and dinners that I weren't up to par.
Last night, though, the food was excellent. I had scallops, which I haven't for y ears, and they were very good. Along with the entrees they served, family style, not one but two bowls of pasta (with vodka sauce and a broccoli one with garlic), salad, and vegetables. The last were uninspired, being a "summer mix" or whatever they call it--I always think they throw in together all the left overs from the day before; in this case, more broccoli, string beans, carrots, and sweet peppers. I don't even like the combination. The dessert, cheesecake, was delicious and the coffee good. No fewer than four people had birthdays that month and Judy K., ever the party person, sent around birthday cards she individually designed and made, along with birthday tiaras for the women and a crown for the man. They were presented with cupcakes with candles and we all sang "Happy Birthday." There was a drawing for little gifts--I got a glittery hanging decoration--and each woman got a fresh long-stemmed red rose. These occasions aren't usually so elaborate, but certainly will be next month, as Judy and Roman have the October Dine Around.
Enjoyed my usual Skype call from Ellen and we had a good chat.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...