Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wonderful weekend! Left car up north and drove into Trenton with one of the couple to meet Marilyn and Clorinda at 7:30 am. On a gloriously sunny day and, after stopping a few times, met N. and the two little ones about 2:30 at the Wal-Mart in Mansfield (yes, it takes that long to reach my grandson's house in upper Pennsylania). Noticed lots of large trees down--one had smashed into somebody's roof--and discovered the power was out in Wal-Mart and the surrounding area.
Got back to J. and L.'s house in the country shortly before the bigger boys got home from school and enjoyed so much being with them. J., who was working, met us in Wellsboro at Pizza Hut, where we had dinner. When we were almost finished, all the lights went out; same with traffic lights, and so on. Got back to their place and, to my consternation, found not only the lights, but the water was off because they have an electric pump. However, we all went to bed and electricity was on in the morning.
On Saturday, I checked into the Canyon Motel and was disconcerted to see there was a "boil water advisory." The motel supplied bottled water, but no ice was available--I didn't miss it, however. We then all went to the indoor (heated) pool and had a ball; stayed until after 6:00 and I told them I'd stay at the motel until they picked me up next day. Walked over to Acme, got a sandwich, ate in the room and went to bed early. Sunday, Joel came in the morning and took me back to their place. Their friends, Chris and Holly and their four-month-old baby had stayed over and two other boys were there to play. Had a barbecue, which we all enjoyed, and another friend and co-worker and his teen aged son came over. Great fun watching Joel squirt the hose at the boys, who had a ball. J. and Chris also shot arrows into a target and Chris demonstrated his big model car, which can go 55 miles an hour. Was driven back into town, read for a short time, then slept like a log. J. picked me up in the morning and got me to the Turkey Ranch Restaurant in Trout Run, about 25 miles away.
We were invited to stop up north for dinner and enjoyed it on the deck: grilled salmon, potatoes and onions, and fresh asparagus and strawberries made a wonderful late spring dinner. Marilyn and Clorinda were shown around the property--lots planted and thriving--and loved the house.
That's just the bare bones of my weekend, which was great fun--best of all, as ever, was spending time with my family. Talked to Ellen when I got home; mentioned that Marilyn said she's going up again to Canton in August and invited me to come. I asked Ellen is she would, too, and she's considering it.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...