Thursday, May 05, 2011

Had a ball at the Rider Longtimers' Reception. I drove up there--it takes an hour and a half--in heavy rain all the way. Met Marilyn and we discovered it was being held in the Student Recreation Center (not to be confused with the Student Activities Center). In good weather, it's held in the president's backyard across from the campus, but this was even better.
What a terrific affair it was! They had a drinks (wine, beer, soft drinks, water) table set up, along with a wonderful array of international food--tapas, several kinds of salsas, pot dumplings, and so on, in addition to roast beef (a chef stood at a meat table and carved a huge piece of meat to order) on tiny rolls. There was a desserts table, too, of course, with small cannolis, bite-sized cream puffs, little cheesecakes, fruit, and so on. An elegant presentation altogether.
As ever, it was SO much fun to greet former colleagues. Marilyn knew only a handful of people, as she left Rider thirty years ago, but there were some. Also, she's a graduate of Westminster Choir College, which Rider acquired about fifteen years ago, and I was able to introduce her to Bob A., the dean. I chatted with Bart L., Rider's prez when I was there, and his wife, Linda. Their son lives in Singapore where my son and family do, until they move to London in the summer.
I caught up with so many others, both retirees and present employees. There were lots of folks getting twenty-year awards who reminded me that I had hired them. We stayed until about 6:30--it was supposed to end at 6:00--and walked out with a group to talk for another fifteen in the parking lot.
Anyway, it was great fun--and the best part was, I could walk away until next year.
Called Naomi P. when I got home and set up an interview with her and her husband for 8:00 pm. He works and isn't in until then--practically the middle of the night for me--but I want to continue my "Profile" articles for The Breeze, so will bite the bullet and stay up.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...