Sunday, May 22, 2011

Walked down to Barb's (three doors away) at 7:30 and she, her sister, Pat, and I left for Wells Mills Park, where we boarded a van. Went to Bartram's Gardens in Philadelphia, right on the Schuylkill Rider. John Bartram was an early botanist and farmer, who was a friend of Franklin and others. He was instrumental in bringing a lot of plants and flowers to the area, as were many of his descendants. We toured his house, too, a fairly modest two-story, all stone on the outside. Brought lunch and ate it under a gazebo and glorious sunshine. All in all, it was a wonderful day.
Got home to find an invitation from Susan for Walter's surprise birthday lunch on June 5. Will be delighted to respond in the affirmative.
Betty and her friend, Mookie, are coming up at 10:00 and we'll go to the Irish Festival at Tuckerton Seaport. Tonight, I have a "Dine Around" dinner in Bayville; will go with Susan and Walter.

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

The first time I visited Philadelphia was when I was a novice oarsman with the Purdue Crew, and we were one of the schools racing in the Dad Vail Regatta, on what all of us called the "school-kill" River. My next time in town, I was visiting my son, who knew the correct pronunciation, which seems to be "skoo-kle." I was quite surprised.

I guess we Hoosiers have only to open our mouths to give ourselves away as such.

Mimi said...

My father crewed on the Schuylkill, too, but many years ago. I guess you know the word means "river," so the common usage is redundant. (Smarty pants me!)

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...