Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Nothing going on yesterday, so I called Betty to chat. Her car was supposed to be finished on Friday, but wasn't, so I suggested I come down to have lunch. "Great!" says she, and I did. Brought her the half of the half-sub from Sacco's I didn't eat Saturday and brought myself chicken and salad. As ever, we had a nice sisterly time together.
Back home about 4:00 to find the game (I like to call it "baby baseball") to which I had been invited, was postponed because of possible rain. Just as well; I stayed put and did a wash and stuff.
Got an e-mail from Mike, now at the Manhattan office of his new company, to the effect that a colleague he just met has an aunt and uncle in Little Egg, possibly Sunrise Bay: Maureen and John W. Did I know them? Yes, indeed, I know Maureen well. Will call her.
Marge D.'s daughter called to ask if I would stay with Marge on Wednesday while husband Fred (the one I took to the hospital last week) gets a procedure. Sure, I will. I had had a date with Pat L. for my knitting lesson, but I'm sure she'll understand if I call to postpone. Hope she's free Thursday or Friday.
Lunching with ladies today, then the Irish-American thing (what is it? Can't remember) in Absecon tonight.
Literary Note: I seldom read fiction and I sure as hell don't read that abomination, fictionalized 'fact,'" although people are constantly assuring me that gussied up "history" or "biography" is as good or better than just the plain truth--ugh! A friend of mine subscribes to this notion and just tried to press on me a book of the genre concerning Barbara Bush. If I ever express a desire to read anything about Barbara Bush, in particular one that puts words in her frozen patrician mouth, please stick a fork in my eye. With that lengthy aside, I'll recommend two books of fiction: The Silent Land, by British Graham Joyce, which I just finished, and The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, which I read a year or so ago. Did I buy them? Of course not; got them through the library. They're not the something-appeared-to-me-in-a-veil-of-light-and-cured-me-of-my-cocaine-habit, let along feel-good types, but well worth reading, sez I.
Medical Note: Yesterday, BP was 120/70. I'm pretty sure that's good.

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I have, however, stayed in a Holiday Inn Express at one time or another. Allow me to assure you, then, that 120/70 isn't just "good" -- it's perfectly delightful. I think you'll be with us pretty much forever, here in this vale of tears.

Mimi said...

I'm delighted to get your diagnosis, Jim; you may have noticed that, vale of tears or not, I like it here. BTW, I check your blog often in case you decide to come back--hope so. Did you see Chris H. on GritTV (linked from Truthdig.com)? He was so articulate about our present state of decline, it both moved and depressed me. Loved his comment about Katie Couric. And thanks for yours.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...