Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brett, with whom I had contracted to clean out the flower beds, came about 9:15 and it's the last time I'll ever have him do anything. The other day, I walked him around and showed him what needed to be done: remove the dead leaves and weed all the beds around the house. He assured me he could do it and had all the tools necessary, but ended up using only a rake, a shovel, and a wheel barrel. That's because he didn't do any weeding, aside from picking off the heads of a few, which have probably grown back already. I should have been more suspicious when he gave me such a low-ball estimate for the job the other day. Anyway, I expressed my displeasure, gave him the twenty-five he asked (I should have refused more than twenty), and chalked it up to experience. However, I got the offer of weeding from a family member, who will be over this afternoon to carry it out.
I finally got The Breeze profile written and sent it and the picture to the subjects. It came out pretty good, actually, and is a big load off my mind.
Went to Staples to duplicate some old family pictures and sent them off to my nephew in Chicago. Stopped at two thrift stores to see if I could find a man's hat--fedora or boater--and asked several neighbors, but had no luck...
Now WHY would I want a man's hat? Because we're photographing the cover for the June Breeze this morning and it will depict the five-member editorial staff acting as old-time reporters. Wasn't able to find a hat, so will take one of my own and stick pencils in it.
Or not.
Had a nice chat with friend and neighbor Leslie R. We're of like minds when it comes to pacifism, war-mongering, and other things, too. Always refreshing to be able to talk to a kindred spirit.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...