Sunday, November 14, 2010

Went to the outdoor Manahawkin Flea Market and bought another bracelet and some hair ornaments. Stopped at the thrift store and got an attractive...well, it's a pretty..damn, I don't know how to describe it except it looks a small version of a two-tier pie holder and has artificial grapes. Yes, I needed it like a hole in the head, but it was only three bucks--suffcient reason.
Read more of The Road, an absorbing and thoroughly harrowing book. Other than those little diversions, a ho-hummy day until the play.
Got to the community center and found I was the only one there to run concessions; on Friday night, there were three of us. No matter, Frank and Don helped me set up and sell at intermission and it was fun. Play was sparsely attended, I'm afraid, but I sat with Ellen through the first act, then cleaned up the kitchen and went home. I was invited to the cast party after, but I knew it's a long play and the party wouldn't start until close to 11:00, so decided to skip. Now I could kick myself--wish I had gone.
However, I had a good talk with Desi about what's in the works for next year: Our Town in April, Moon Over Buffalo in the fall, and a variety of musical productions, with performers brought in.
Last performance of Spirit today, then we strike the set. I'll sit through all of this one, then help with dismantling.

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Is The Road worthwhile? I ask because I recently read Blood Meridian, and it was about as unpleasant a book as I can remember ... and I couldn't figure out what the point was supposed to be, other than that life in the southwest in the mid-19th century wasn't much good. Should I give The Road a try?

Mimi said...

Jim, sorry it's taken me a year and a half to answer this. Yes, indeed, The Road (I don't know how to do italics in a comment) is worthwhile. I dipped into Blood Meridian, too, and after a few pages, couldn't stomach it. I liked The Road a lot, but it's not light reading at all.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...