Friday, November 26, 2010

Early in the day, I called daughter Ellen, sister Betty, my three brothers, and Leslie R. to say Happy Thanksgiving and tell they they're the sources of my thanks to the powers that be for such a family and such friends. Packed up the goodies I had made and my overnight bag and drove up north in a light drizzle.
'Twas a lovely Thanksgiving, notwithstanding the lousy weather. I arrived at 3:30 and stepped into the house to be enveloped by that wonderful turkey aroma. It was already out of the oven and "resting" on the stove. J. and the kids came in soon after, then cousin John, and brother Brent. We chatted until dinnertime and partook of the appetizers--sweet pepper strips with dip, trail mix, and banana and orange slices with honey, in preparation for the main feast.
And what a feast! The turkey was so tender and flavorful--I had dark meat--and it was accompanied by two kinds of stuffing--the cranberry/walnut was sublime--smashed taters, creamed spinach, string bean casserole, corn pudding which Brent had made, and whole berry cranberry sauce, plus white rolls and my banana bread. We all ate our fill--more than our fill--then made room for coffee and the apple and/or pumpkin pies with sweetened whipped cream I had made. They were excellent, if I modestly say so myself.
After more good talk--and I hardly stirred from the table to help (I should be ashamed of myself, but I'm not), the other company said goodnight. The hostess and I sat reading for just a short time, then turned in. Slept like a log, got up at my usual 5:15, poured my coffee and starting re-reading Bill Bryson's A Walk In The Woods, a terrific book for anybody, but especially if you hike.
As the two household hikers prepared to leave for the first of their two hikes of the day (in the rain!), I said my thanks and left for home. As all the best days are, the time with family was the best part of a fine day.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Mimi, I still come to your page every now and then to see how your doing. I read this post and I wanted you to know that you made a mistake. Its not Noelle and her 5 boys. Iam still Joel and Tristans mother and I do talk to them and see them all the time. Just because they dont live with me right now and Joel and I arent together anymore doesnt mean that I am not their mother.

Mimi said...

Jen, you are right. I'm ashamed of having written that and have now changed it. I didn't mean to be such an insensitive jerk; I'm afraid I just didn't think. You are Joel's and Tristan's mother and you always will be. I am so sorry. I hope you can forgive me.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...