Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ran a bunch of mundane errands yesterday, then practically vegged out. Sat reading on the couch after lunch, then fell asleep for about an hour. What book? Beautiful Boy, by David Sheff, a harrowing account of his son's meth addiction. Having been addicted to amphetamines myself, I'd like to know if they're the same thing. Oh, yes, children, I was a junkie--I just didn't know it-- and some day I'll tell you about it. Am simutaneously reading Losing Mum And Pup, by Christopher Buckley, and a bio of L. Frank Baum, the author of The Wizard Of Oz--which, after a few chapters, I realized is written for pre-teens. No matter, I'll read it anyway; I've been to Baum's grave (Forest Lawn in California) and am curious about him.
Was pleased to get a call from my dear sis-in-law, Helen, thanking me for a little gift I sent. Had a great time talking to this irrepressible and warm-hearted person--one of my favorite relatives.
That was the highpoint of the slow day. Later, I stopped at the library and picked up a bio of Tom Hanks (once I get interested in something, I saturate myself with it) and Seeing Voices: A Journey Into The World Of The Deaf, by Oliver Sacks.
Got a call from Mary Ann Van O. about cooking fresh vegetables, and I offered to take her to Santori's,w which we'll do today. Made an appointment to get my oil changed, also today--exciting stuff, huh?

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Interesting question Rosemary about the connection of Meth and amphetamines. I think they might be the same or at least very closely related.
As you know many folks used them mostly for wgt loss in the 60s without knowing they were addictive.
I think the same problem today is occurring with folks on sleep meds like Ambien and Lunesta etc. They are also addictive and doctors prescribe them like they are not. It will be difficult for people to stop them after being on them for a long time.
You weren't alone in your amphetamine addiction....pilots, truck drivers, college students etc used them regularly.
When I worked for Dr D. my aunt used to beg me to bring her samples of Dexamyl which was not controlled and very available as samples. I made up some excuse why I couldn't get them for her, but I knew then she must have been addicted and had no idea. I think Dexamyl is no longer on the market.

Mimi said...

Hey, Pat, I'm going to ask the doctor if they're the same--also, is crystal meth just the street name for it?

iloveac said...

Yes, I believe so. Will be anxious to hear what your doc says.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...