Saturday, November 13, 2010

For the life of me, I can't remember much of what I did in the daytime yesterday. Aside from a library, guess I putzed around home on various chores. Barb D. came over at my request to help me get the Thanksgiving wreath out of the box (it was fastened in with wire) and stayed for a short visit.
Got to the Community Center to help at concessions at 6:00. Old acquaintances Mary Ann M. and Sandy T., plus most of the cast and crew were already there. Was pleased to see lots of acting group friends, including Co-Director Ellen V., with whom I made a lunch date for next week. Helped with preparing the coffee and setting up otherwise. One urn leaked and got water all over the counter and on the floor, but we mopped up and took it in stride.
A moderate number of people were in attendance, including Susan and Walter, Ray and Barbara, and about a dozen other people I know. I heard we had sold only 47 advance ticket, not so good, and the place wasn't anywhere near filled, which is an ominous sign. I can only hope tonight is better attended; not sure what'll go down at the Sunday matinee.
The presentation itself, it seems to me, had some flaws. Noel Coward's sophisticated comedies, prominently including Blithe Spirit, were written about and-- significantly for--pre-WW II, upper-class English characters. Think suave men of the world and ditsy "character" types, such as Rex Harrison and Margaret Rutherford, who starred in the 1941 movie. I'm not sure if the best of actors could have pulled it off in the Little Egg Community Center, but I'm afraid it may have been a poor choice to stage. Some of the actors were really good, but others, I'm afraid, weren't. The woman who played the maid, in particular, came across as dull and lifeless (if you know the plot of Spirit, that's a poor pun!) in a role that should have been a meaty one. The set really didn't look like an English drawing room, and there were other problems. I will say that the young woman who played "Elvira," who comes back from the dead, was very good.
I left about halfway through, because I'll work concessions again tonight and Sunday, so knew I could see the rest then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rooaaawww! Wow , talk about a 'catty' review. Hmm... I know who would have been GREAT as the maid - a real sparkplug.

Retract those claws!

Mimi said...

For your information, Anon, I DID NOT audition for the part of the maid.
(...wish I had...)

Sunday

I reserved yesterday for chores.  Stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I had breakfast. It pleased me that, just as I responded to t...