Monday, November 01, 2010

Helen was finally sprung from the hospital more than four hours after she was told she'd be going home momentarily. Larry and I had been there much of that time before Elaine and her three strapping boys came to pick me up and take me to little Bella's birthday party. That was such fun, with lots of members of the big extended family present. Mommy Alycia calmly presided over the gathering, while being very, very pregnant with Bella's little sis, soon-to-be-born Zoe. I understand the newcomer will be--well, newly coming--any minute now. (It's just a tad disconcerting to realize I'm Bella's and Zoe's great-great-aunt. Good grief.) Alycia's husband, Brian, is so handsome he looks like a movie star and I was pleased to meet his mother and other members of his Ecuadorian family.
Had some of Elaine's wonderful margaritas, plus spinach dip and chips, yummy salad, pepperoni pizza, and a huge slab of utterly sublime birthday cake. Think I'd better buy up all the broccoli and cauliflower available in Jersey and get back on the straight and narrow pronto, once I'm home.
And that'll be today. I had such a great time, thanks to my dear brother and sis-in-law and their multitude of family members. I hope and trust that those of the other Byrne branches will hold to their earlier resolve to organize a full reunion next summer.
Goodbye, Florida, land of sunshine and shorts! Hello, Jersey, stuck in the frozen north! (That doesn't quite rhyme, does it?) Hey, much as I loved being here, I'll be glad to get back to my familiar and comfortable digs, too.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...