Wednesday, October 06, 2010

A neighbor named Libby B. called yesterday and asked to borrow the transport chair. (I run a "classified" column in The Breeze for those who want to buy, sell, or rent anything and I list the chair as free to lend.) Libby, whom I had known only slightly before, asked if I could bring it over, as she doesn't drive. I did and we spent an hour or so talking. Her husband has some kind of vein problem and can't walk, horribly enough. Last week, she had a terrible time trying to get him up from the floor. Libby also gave me a good story for a piece I'm writing called "The Best--And The Rest." This consists of little vignettes on experiences people have had in various situations, some heart-warming, some funny.
Spent a lot of the rest of the day calling people to contribute to that piece and also to a little "Family Traditons" one I write. Got some interesting stories, but one, for sheer peculiarity, stands out and I'll menton it here:
Kathy D. told me that in her hometown, she and all the other kids used to dress up in costume on a particular fall day and go door-to-door asking for treats. Well, duh--who didn't do that on Halloween? Oh, but wait a minute--they "went begging," as they called it, on Thanksgiving! Yes, in the morning every Thanksgiving Day, they went out for trick or treat. That is so bizarre, I can hardly wrap my mind around it. Love the story and I'm going to check to see if I can find out if the town of North Bergen, in Hudson Sounty, New Jersey, still follows this practice. Incredible.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Most interesting. I hope you do find out more about it.
I've always wondered when the phrase "trick or treat" came into practice.
I grew up in the Inlet and on Halloween we always went 'begging' and we never said "trick or treat"....we said "anything for Halloween"

iloveac said...

Rich said he grew up in Kansas City and they too said 'trick or treat'. Maybe it's my faulty memory because I also never remember people yelling "show me your shoes" to the Miss America contestants during the parade, and I never missed one between '47 and '53.

Mimi said...

I'm with you, Pat--we never said "T or T," but always "anything, etc." BTW, I found that several northern Jersey communities go or went the Thanksgiving route for costumes and treats. Must run--off to dentist.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...