Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Had nothing scheduled yesterday, but it turned out to be a fun time. During our walk, Susan asked me for directions to the Sock Outlet in Northfield, where I had gotten my fabulous, "jewel" encrusted cuff bracelet. Wore it to her house when she had me over for dinner with her family. Her daughter, Julie, had exclaimed over the bracelet, tried it on, and so on, and Susan wanted to get her one. Little did she know that I had already been to the place and asked the buyer (also owner) to get another. Well, I told Susan I'd like to go with her, I did, she got the bracelet and eighty-seven dollars worth of other stuff (Christmas presents) and I blacked out. When I came to, I had bought two more bracelets--I just can't leave them on the counter!--although I didn't spend anywhere near eighty-seven dollars.
After this agreeable excursion, I suggested we have lunch and we did, at Shore Diner, one of my favorites. It's several cuts above must diners--large, well-appointed and the wait staff wears uniform black pants, white shirts. Best of all, it has a great variety of terrific food.
Unfortunately, that terrific food seems to have done a number on me: I had a cup of bean soup and half a sandwich. Oddly--I've never seen this at any other restaurant--you couldn't substitute for the sandwich. A cheese, ham, turkey club is standard and, with that order, that's what you have to get. So I did, and later, had a bad stomach ache for an hour or so. Took some Tums and it finally went away. My theory is that, as I don't eat meat at home at all, I had startled and irritated my stomach with the stuff two days in a row (hamburger on Monday night with Vivian) and it was protesting. (I may be completely wrong about that.)
One other thing about the Shore Diner: All the waiters and waitresses seem to be from Greece or Bulgaria. Intriguing, I calls it.
When I got home, went to bed with Tums; later, watched part of Thank You For Smoking, which I had borrowed form the library.. Only mildly funny and interesting, I thought; may not continue watching.
The nice day was topped off by a web cam call from the darlings in Singapore. Vivacious Vivian and adorable little Violet (she talks so well for 2 years, 3 months, I'm always amazed) and their Daddy. Discussed end-of-year plans, which for me, are still in flux.
Good day and I slept like a baby, a log, or the brains of regular T.V. viewers.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...