Monday, October 11, 2010

Finally cleaned the bathroom, virtuous little housewife that I am. It took a while, but it's so satisfying to have everything clean, shiny, and neatly arranged. Then, went to the cemetery and was pleased to find the mums--white with yellow centers--still looking good. Watered, did the same at Jay's, but didn't stop anywhere else; I was hungry and wanted lunch. Had made two crock pot dishes: an eggplant, onion, tomato casserole and cauliflower. The first was okay, but tasted just as it does in the microwave, the c., though, was delish. I had cut it in small florets and added Mrs. Dash and just a splash of water. Devoured the whole thing, which was a good-sized head--oh, yes, when I eat veggies, I eat a lot of them. Also had salad.
Went to Staples later to duplicate a picture Bob Nelson had given me, of our clubhouse being built. Hope it can be scanned at the office and accompany the story.
Watched television for a time. Saw part of an Animal Planet show called Fatal Attraction about people who "adopt," live with, and dote on wild animals, in this instance, chimps. Once the cute little baby-like things grow up, they're dangerous and have a tendency to turn on their owners and kill or maim them, with a special liking for tearing off their faces. This idiocy--convincing yourself that a wild animal is going to care about you--almost (but not quite) argues for the "you got what you deserve" attitude, it seems to me. I wonder how many of these devoted and kindly animal people actively demonstrate opposition to the casual cruelty that goes on toward people, even children? Oh, there's my holier than thou persona rearing its stupid, self-satisfied head--shut up, Mimi.
WIDER: I haven't been commenting--ranting?--on the war and peace thing lately. Still read the anti-war blogs every day, but am beginning to develop an "it's no use" attitude. War and U.S. aggression are, let's face it, simply accepted as normal and natural now, I'm afraid. To even raise the subject in polite society is a breach of manners, it seems; what's wrong with this dodo, why doesn't she concentrate on important topics, like Dancing with The Stars?
So I guess you'd say I'm in moral hibernation. I'll come out of the cave eventually, but for now, need to just read, absorb, and mull over.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Hey,
Don't denigrate 'Dancing with the Stars'....some of us love to dance and watch it fairly often. Though it is getting to be too gymnastic for my taste.
I totally agree about people accepting war as an everyday inconvenience. It may be that they are overwhelmed in that it is too big for them to do anything significant to change things...so they give up and watch lighter fare like DWTS. I often think of folks who are Pro Life (of which I am one) who go on and on about how horrible it is to use embryonic stem cells and yet many of these folks rarely give a thought to those dying/maimed every day in senseless wars. And they don't give thought to those in third world countries who are barely living and often victims of genocide. Oh, but we must save those million frozen embryos. As I say to myself, if I practice tolerance toward those in my small corner of the world...maybe the ripple effect will kick in....maybe.

Mimi said...

Could be, kid, but it's a long shot.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...